• Registered
Hiya I don't where to start! ,my son Alex hasn't being dianosed with anything yet but the children centre lady thinks maybe autism and since it's early days assessment s galore but she handed me forms to fill out for dla and carers allowance. It's quite distressing and she told me someone would help me fill in but it's been 3 weeks and I will just do them myself so no doubt I'll have lots of questions!! But first question is what should I send as proof as I have nothing yet ! And I have told it takes a while for first claim so if anyone knows the process of it all please help as I'm not sure what I am doing and any potty training advice would be great Alex is 3 hrs 4 months with barely any conversation due to start nursery school in sep and very important he is dry by then!! Advice seriously needed xxxxxthanks so much!!
Clara.

• VIP
(01-22-2011, 11:05 PM)Alexsmum Wrote: Hiya I don't where to start! ,my son Alex hasn't being dianosed with anything yet but the children centre lady thinks maybe autism and since it's early days assessment s galore but she handed me forms to fill out for dla and carers allowance. It's quite distressing and she told me someone would help me fill in but it's been 3 weeks and I will just do them myself so no doubt I'll have lots of questions!! But first question is what should I send as proof as I have nothing yet ! And I have told it takes a while for first claim so if anyone knows the process of it all please help as I'm not sure what I am doing and any potty training advice would be great Alex is 3 hrs 4 months with barely any conversation due to start nursery school in sep and very important he is dry by then!! Advice seriously needed xxxxxthanks so much!!
Clara.
welfare right should help you fill in forms

Heart mum of 2 Heart

• Administrators
ok, firstly, WELCOME Smile sounds like you have a lot to deal with at the minute so try and take your time with the forms. They are quite long winded and ask a lot of the same questions again and again so you will probably feel like your repeating yourself a lot!

We usually advise keeping a diary for a few days to help with the details on the form as it needs to be absed on an average day - not the worst as used to be advised. Goodluck!! It usually takes about 3 months for a first award, it will ask you for doctors names on the form and they will write to them for information and reports so you don't need to worry about having any written proof. You can also ask someone who knows your son to fill out abit about his problems so maybe ask the lady who gave you the forms!? Its an optional bit so you don't have to fill that part in.

Goodluck!! Hope I haven't bamboozled you too much xx

• Registered
(01-23-2011, 09:59 AM)Lucy Wrote: ok, firstly, WELCOME Smile sounds like you have a lot to deal with at the minute so try and take your time with the forms. They are quite long winded and ask a lot of the same questions again and again so you will probably feel like your repeating yourself a lot!

We usually advise keeping a diary for a few days to help with the details on the form as it needs to be absed on an average day - not the worst as used to be advised. Goodluck!! It usually takes about 3 months for a first award, it will ask you for doctors names on the form and they will write to them for information and reports so you don't need to worry about having any written proof. You can also ask someone who knows your son to fill out abit about his problems so maybe ask the lady who gave you the forms!? Its an optional bit so you don't have to fill that part in.

Goodluck!! Hope I haven't bamboozled you too much xx

Thanks very much for your reply. I shall do just that,x clara.

Hi
I have a very useful booklet from a group called Cerebra that tells you what to write on the DLA and hints on what to do like keeping notes of what they are like day to day so you can give them examples.
The DWP are very hot on wanting to know how your child differs from any other child of the same age. I was given the advice when I filled in mine for my daughter to give lots of examples and anecdotes of what life is like and to just keep repeating yourself in every section if need be. I wrote quite a few examples of how children operate at the same age as my daughter by talking to my friends and asking "If your child did this.. how would they act... or can you leave your child in a room alone and go to the loo?" (!)Things like that.
Keep copies/scans of everything you fill in in case they lose the paper work and you can also refer to it when you next apply as I have heard them coming back with.."You phrased things like this last time what's changed?" When nothing had!
Mine took 2 weeks to fill in and 9 weeks to process (with a little nagging from me!)
As Lucy said , take your time and put in as much as you can to set the scene (use extra paper if needed I used 2 extra sheets in one section as the tiny box wasn't enough!). Fill in all the people you can so they get a rounded picture especially those who see a lot of your child. Some paeds hardly know the child at all I think!
Good Luck anyway!! :-)