• Registered
Hi
I have a 3 year old son with quadraplegia cerebral palsy,we own a 4 bed house but have 7 children.We were recently accessed for house adaptions but have been refused as Scotts needs are high and the adaptions would cost more than the grant they issue.we would need all doorways widening a ramp up to the front door and downstairs bedroom/showerroom.Aparently going upstairs via a lift isnt an option neither is re-homing us as we are such a large family and are home owners.They said they have to do all the adaptions and wont use the grant to just do part of the work,so they seem to think its better to leave us with nothing.Has anyone been in a simular situation or have any ideas

• Established member
(01-20-2011, 03:55 PM)sensai2004 Wrote: Hi
I have a 3 year old son with quadraplegia cerebral palsy,we own a 4 bed house but have 7 children.We were recently accessed for house adaptions but have been refused as Scotts needs are high and the adaptions would cost more than the grant they issue.we would need all doorways widening a ramp up to the front door and downstairs bedroom/showerroom.Aparently going upstairs via a lift isnt an option neither is re-homing us as we are such a large family and are home owners.They said they have to do all the adaptions and wont use the grant to just do part of the work,so they seem to think its better to leave us with nothing.Has anyone been in a simular situation or have any ideas

Hi, we've just moved house because of similar reasons (council tennants tho!) how much did the work come 2?
In our previous house we needed down stairs bedroom, bathroom, larger kitchen, ramps, wider doors etc and it was estimated at £79,000, the grant gives u about £36,000 by me (flintshire) BUT what they dont tell u is there is a discretionary fund which will allow u a top up to meet the costs, all of our £79,000 was approved but we decided 2 take a move 2 another close by property as we would be 'homeless' 4 6months whilst the work went on,. We've just had a lift fitted which is fantastic. Ask them to get the lift people out a when they came here they gave us the option of having the lift outside our house (basicly a porch like size area going into ur childs bedroom)The money is available, u just have to no what to ask 4 an how!! Smile good luck

• Administrators
Many councils as the last member stated have whats known as discretionary funding however there is not a legal requirement to use this and with councils tightning the purse strings its getting harder to access the funding required.
One particular charity i am aware of that help in situations like these are the act foundation.
http://www.theactfoundation.co.uk/grant-information-mainmenu-3
The charity are a hidden gem and not many know of them so i would also suggest exploring this avenue.

The act foundation will not help where there is an obligation for a local authority to assist but will help in your case i believe providing you fufil the rest of there criteria.

Looking at your adaptions list i would say that is a typical adaption program and am dubious to the real reason for turning you down.

Have they sent you any official letters turning you down yet and if so did they have an appeals process?

Also how did they get the quote of £79,000 from whom?

What area are you in?
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• Registered
we live in the portsmouth area and aparently there budget is £30,000 but some of the work is taxable so they estimate about £26,000 they actually spend on the property.When the council came to view our house they told us of another local family who were aproved the grant but complications arose during the work and they have been left with incompleted adaptions because the council wouldnt add to the £30,000 pot.we were told that we were rejected purley on the grounds of money.We had recieved a phone call prior to the accessment and were told they were going to reject us on the grounds of overcrowding but we just got away with that one as our kiddies are only very young at the mo and only classed as half people :-) thankyou for your suggestions i will deff be looking into them,Scotts only 3 at the mo so carrying him around isnt to much of a problem but i wouldnt like to be doing this in a couple of years time

• Established member
Hi, my little boy is 5 also with quadraplegia, when robbie was one we had a pre check done by council to check if when the time was right we needed an adaptation, the house could be done, so they came out did what they do,they had plans made up and we got a letter back saying yes we could have the house done, when robbie was 2 we put in the application, all was good, we got right to the last bit of meeting builders, then the scumbags have said NO,NO,NO we will not do it becouse it's an old mining area and you may live near a old mine shaft. We have been to our mp, waste of time, we have been to get legal advise waste of time, we have been told," the council can afford to keep fighting, but you can't" basically it is all about money, none of the people who are supposed to help you dont, all the therapys have one by one stopped coming, robbie sleeps on 2 caravan matresses with me in the living room, we live in a small 3bed house, i have 3 children, it's like they get pleasure from making life crapper than crap. It's not just cruel to robbie, it's cruel to my 7yr old and 3yr old. they all make me sick, they would sooner help people who dont really need help, mind you they did suggest we put robbie a bed in the kitchen, just at the side of back door, tw***. this aint life its excisting