• Registered
I am a bit confused with all this housing stuff (along with everything else lol) My son has not had a diagnoses yet but his main problems are severe global developemental delay, sensory problems, feeding problems. he is 0months but cant crawl/ walk/talk and has only recently learnt to roll over and sit unaided.
Without a diagnosis understandably no one knows if he will walk. We are on highest housing list as have 3 boys in a small 2 bed council house and have been told im in top 3 for a house. But im not sure what we are meant to be looking for as hoist has been mentioned as has wheelchair acess but everyone is just being so vague and with a move imminent (as told by housing manager last week) I feel like they need to get their act together and decide what my sons need should be! Dodgy

Sorry for rambling but needed to get it off my chest, anyone been in this situation? or can advise what & who to ask please?

• Registered
sorry meant to say 20months not o months Confused

• Administrators
Has the OT done an assessment? Surely they should be able to advise on what they think you'll need over the next few years in regard to equipment, whether he'll need a downstairs wet room? Which should deffinatly be something they should identify now! It would make more sense to move you into somewhere that has one or is ground floor like a bungalow, than have to extend or move you again later!!! Could you arange a meeting? Or maybe someone could come out to you to talk about what they are planning to rehouse you into!! It would be unfair to put you on the spot if an offer came up xx

• VIP
hi , i agree with lucy , you need to ring the council and get one of their occupational therepists to come and see you , you need to make sure the house has a downstairs room for a bedroom and a bathroom or enough room outside to build an extension. we are in a council house and my son is in a wheelchair but we wouldnt have got one suitable if it wasnt for the ot report. have you got a disabilty support worker? if so give them a ring they should be able to help .
good luck x

• VIP
Hi i'm in the same boat your child sounds like mine , i keep falling downstairs with my son , my son is 2 and 7 months and have give him till he is 5 to walk and said if he isnt by then he most likely wont . I said to his last OT about housing and was told they wont look into it until he is 5 years old . He is in a wheelchair , and as they are still unsure of what his problems are, he is hypermobility as well so he'll have problem walking if he ever does get on his feet . Its a nightmare as no-one seems to give you an answer of when they can move you , some people get lucky and get moved with no problem . Dont understand it all myself and i'll have no luck if i needed my son disability support worker to get moved , its like talk to brick wall with him . I hope you get something very soon and that will help you and your family
Single mum to a 14year old daughter and a son who is 3years old who has severe learning disability , hypotonia , hypermobility , visual impaired and sensory issues , he has showed me the meaning of life Heart and 3rd baby due 2nd of January 2012