• VIP
Hi, the situation is really getting me down.
I live in a small 2 bed terrace house. The plan was that when I went back to work after having my son we would sell and move to a bigger property. However as my son has a variety of special needs i will only be working 2 days and therefore not earning much, so we can't get a mortgage on a bigger property. Our monthly mortgage is huge as we got a very poor fixed rate which is up in June.
Anyway I have a 4 year girl in a tiny room, no room to share, and my son is with us, with ventilator, sats monitor, humidifier, oxygen concentrator. It's a tight squeeze. I'm hoping to get a disabled facilities grant to build a one room extension over our kitchen. But if we don't get it I don't know what we will do. If anything nate's amount of equipment is going to increase over the years. Wish we hadn't bought a house and were in council housing as they'd probably help. Any ideas? We can't even sell and then rent a house as we wouldn't be able to pay off our mortgage as the house prices arent good.
Rachel, thea and Nate x

• Administrators
Aww hun, sounds like a tricky situation. Have you applied for the DFG and have they sent someone out to look? Fingers crossed for you that its sorted as that should hopefully ease your situation. Can't be easy sharing and having all the equipment to get in too Sad try and keep positive though, I'm sure things will work themselves out xx

• Registered
Really feel and understand how your feeling as we're in exactly the same situation as you and don't know what to do either. We also live in a very small 2 bed house (2 up 2 down), we can't get any equipment in for Ben (standing frame etc) as they're is no where to put it. Our house has been on the market for 3 years now and as it stands if we were to sell it tomorrow we would be able to pay off the mortgage but thats it, and as i'm unable to work even decent part time hrs due to the fact that I have to care for Ben, we probably wouldn't even get a mortgage for the house we're in now! Unfortunatley we had an archetect and the OT round this afternoon, who said that an extension wouldn't be possible as it would be too close to our next door neighbours to get planning permission. Don't know what we are going to do.

• VIP
(01-17-2011, 12:09 PM)theaandnatesmam Wrote: Hi, the situation is really getting me down.
I live in a small 2 bed terrace house. The plan was that when I went back to work after having my son we would sell and move to a bigger property. However as my son has a variety of special needs i will only be working 2 days and therefore not earning much, so we can't get a mortgage on a bigger property. Our monthly mortgage is huge as we got a very poor fixed rate which is up in June.
Anyway I have a 4 year girl in a tiny room, no room to share, and my son is with us, with ventilator, sats monitor, humidifier, oxygen concentrator. It's a tight squeeze. I'm hoping to get a disabled facilities grant to build a one room extension over our kitchen. But if we don't get it I don't know what we will do. If anything nate's amount of equipment is going to increase over the years. Wish we hadn't bought a house and were in council housing as they'd probably help. Any ideas? We can't even sell and then rent a house as we wouldn't be able to pay off our mortgage as the house prices arent good.
Rachel, thea and Nate x

Hi ,in all honesty you will not get an extension for equipment ,my daughter has wheelchairs ,bath/shower chairs,and special seating chairs etc etc.The only reason she has a downstairs bedroon/bathroom is she is profoundly disabled .I too wish i had extra room for equipment,Disappear

• VIP
Rachel, thea and Nate x
[/quote]
only thing i could suggest is
rent out the one you bought
and go in to private renting

Heart mum of 2 Heart