• Registered
Just to up date you. I plan to appeal on the decision of LA stopping transport in Sep.
I have been in touch with the New school my son plans to go to in Sept and they said they will help compose a letter and suport me where possible. The school also said they wish more parents would stand up and fight the LA, right now I feel I am the only parent been attached. I have also got in touch with my MP. By the 15 February I will find out more. So in the mean time, I will get has much reports has I can to fight my case. Our Special Needs child have a right to have opportunities in areas of talents in schools just like any other child, they don't need the world to put them all in one box with no hope. So I shall wait to see what rubbish school those LA plan to put him, all because they need to watch their financial budget.

Thanks for your details. glad everything sorted out for your son matt. Those LA people just don't think!!! So nice to know he is enjoying it. I wish him all the best.

• VIP
(01-16-2011, 11:34 AM)love2 Wrote: Thanks for you reply. My son is 10. The area of the school is in the council area for where I live. In the letter they sent me saying I can have to school of my first choose for my son, they stated below the letter because the school is of my choose for my son and they feel schools are near that are appropriate school for him. These people are no idea what would suite my son. My son has special needs and really he doesn't like school, so he keeps telling me, my sons passion in life is music and he loves playing the drums which he as been playing from the age of 4. I have found a school that can cover all my sons needs and allow him to develop his music nicely. LA has quoted paragraphy 8.87 of the SEN code of practice and section 20 of the secondary transfer booklet 2011, but I haven't got a copy of that booklet to read what they are talking about. Parent and Partnership told me the transport is between the arrangement of the new school and the old school, right now I just feel like LA is putting pressure on me and at this point I don't know what my rights are.

my little boys school is out of the county where we live and he still gets free transport, but he is only 5

• Established member
Hi my 3 yr old son started special school in jan part time (mornings) and we had to fight for transport for him - even though he fitted every single criteria that had to be met. i ended up sending them a long letter stating every reason in detail and low and behold a week after i had sent it i recieved a letter saying that he had been accepted for transport!! Us mums have to fight so much for things for our children!

• Registered
Just up dating on situation with New school and transport for Sept. 11. I have gone to appeal now with standing my grounds for the rights for my son to go to the school that has been offered to him, that he can cope with his disabity which is cerebral palsy/left hemiplegia and bilateral hip dysplasia, periventricular leucomalacia with large right porencephalic cyst, previous necrotising neterocolitis. with all that my son suffers from the Local authority wants to stop transport for him and put him in a normal school if fact the biggest school in Birmingham. The school of our choose has been giving to us but no transport to get there, and my son is in a wheelchair.

My son just could not cope in a big school. So the battle will continue. The school that has been give to him for September my son loves, because he has a great talent in music, the school the local authority wants to put him, has not much on the lines of my son's one and only talent in life has a disabled child, so look like I am going to have fun, with the warfare ahead. Is anyone else having this problem with transport and cut back.

The school I want for my son is 23mins away from home and the school that the local authority wants him to go too is 21 mins away.

Not sleep too good at the moment, it just feels like I am the only one fighting for my disabled child. My son has a great talent in music and his chance in life is not good because the LA want to save money and not care about his future.

• Registered
(02-10-2011, 09:07 PM)vjnoble1 Wrote: Hi my 3 yr old son started special school in jan part time (mornings) and we had to fight for transport for him - even though he fitted every single criteria that had to be met. i ended up sending them a long letter stating every reason in detail and low and behold a week after i had sent it i recieved a letter saying that he had been accepted for transport!! Us mums have to fight so much for things for our children!

You are so right, us mothers have to right for everything for our disable children, and if we don't it, nobody else will. our special needs children have rights to live there lifes like normally bodied people in this world.