• VIP
Hi i recently had a home safety officer come & look at the flat i live in with my boys as its an open plan kitchen/living room & its causing serious problems now my son can reach the gas knobs he can also open the oven door tries to climb inConfused & on one occasion opened it while it was on & tried to take out a hot baking tray48 when i went to answer the door.Luckily i stopped him in time. The lady tried her best to find ways to make the property safe but because of the design of it all she could do was fit a couple cupboard locks.She said herself this property is not safe for him and she wrote me a letter.Then before christmas we finally had the social services OT come and she said herself she thinks my son needs his own room and somewhere safe to be while i do normal thinks like have a bath use the toilet i knowToomuchinfo but he cant be left alone for a minute everywhere i go he goes & his sleeping has become worse over the last few months.She will need to make some adaptations although she never said what they were.She also said she would write a letter to support me & she told her boss that i need a social worker.I didnt know whether to take what she said next as an insult but she said i look really knackeredI_agree. So once i have all the letters i will be going to speak to a housing options advisor as im a private tenant but i know the council can be really difficult i was wondering if anyone has any info or advice they could give Confused
Mum of 2 lovely boys[Image: smiley-angelic008.gif]

[Image: weight.png]

• Registered
Hi,
I would seriously recommend that you call SHELTER as what they don't know about housing law isn't worth knowing! They are absolutely brilliant and have helped me with so much over the years. It's a free phone call (from BT landline) although be prepared to have to keep trying to get through as they are always really busy.

The council should do as in the housing isn't suitable for your requirements and is not safe, but be prepared to fight as much as you have to, it won't be easy as housing isn't easy. They will be likely to tell you to go and find a more suitable private rented place, but keep fighting. Speak to every agency you can and get as many letters as possible!

Good luck.

• VIP
(01-09-2011, 12:07 PM)smirnoff Wrote: Hi,
I would seriously recommend that you call SHELTER as what they don't know about housing law isn't worth knowing! They are absolutely brilliant and have helped me with so much over the years. It's a free phone call (from BT landline) although be prepared to have to keep trying to get through as they are always really busy.

The council should do as in the housing isn't suitable for your requirements and is not safe, but be prepared to fight as much as you have to, it won't be easy as housing isn't easy. They will be likely to tell you to go and find a more suitable private rented place, but keep fighting. Speak to every agency you can and get as many letters as possible!

Good luck.
I think i will give them a call. There is no way i am finding another privately rented place they were the ones who put me here through their direct lettings scheme & since the new lha rules my tenancy is no longer stable i dont know if i will be here in a few weeks or months because the landlord will not accept the rent when the government change it.My child needs some where safe & most of all stable as he needs routine & i we are currently getting him statemented so he can go to a special school which is nearby.So i am ready to fight them if i have to (which i probably will)

• Moderators
hi katala
i would put in an application form for a council house and get a medical needs form that should help you be further up the list especially as you have ppl who are prepared to write letters stating that where you are isnt safe. there are a few threads on here if you do a search for housing that might help you
corinne
There comes a point in your life when you realize:Who matters,Who never did,Who won't anymore...And who always will..
So, don't worry about people from your past,there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

• VIP
(01-09-2011, 04:22 PM)corinne Wrote: hi katala
i would put in an application form for a council house and get a medical needs form that should help you be further up the list especially as you have ppl who are prepared to write letters stating that where you are isnt safe. there are a few threads on here if you do a search for housing that might help you
corinne

Im already on the housing register & i have been for 6 years.I bid every 2 weeks but as im in the lowest band i wont get anything last time i counted i have bidded on nearly 300 properties47 So i am hoping that they will at least up my band so i actually have a chance of getting something im just not sure if they will allow me a 3 bed but i really need it because he is sleeping in my room well he isnt actually doing much sleeping at all & its starting to affect my health both mentally & physically.But thanks i will have a search for some threads on here