• Registered
Hi all, i am really struggling at the moment. I am a single mum with two boys 7 and 4, my 7 yr old is autistic.

I jst hate waking up every day and the weekends fill me with dread, i just feel like i exist in this life that i have no purpose. I am alone in this, there is no where to take my Children out to as i often need another pair of hands to help me. My son with autism will not go anywhere so we end up doing the same thing each week and i don't know how much more i can take. I am having terrible thoughts like i wish i never had Children, why did i have to get a child with a disability and feel bad for thinking that.

My social worker is crap, she says there no help for me, i tell her i am struggling but doesnt seem to matter, in fact i have reported her !

I can't see any future for me, my ex tells me i will never find anyone else cos no one will take on my situation and that i should take him back but i just dont love him anymore.

I just want to be able to have some sort of life

• VIP
I am so sorry you feel like this and am not sure how much help I will be. I do not know where you live but have you tried getting in touch with the National Autistic Society for support /advice? Do they have a disabilities team in your area not just a children and families team? Do they not offer any form of respite whether it be a babysitting service like Crossroads or overnight stays?
Can any of your family give you some support? Have you tried to access CAMHS for behavioural support? Sorry about the list of questions most of which you have already tried.
Hang in there and when things are bad try and think of a positive thing your we boy has done.

• Registered
Oh dear, so sorry to hear you are feeling so down, your social worker does sound useless, but then again it maybe just due to lack of funding everywhere at the mo. But you should certainly try to get some respite or ask if you can get Direct Payments, where you can pay someone to look after your son,, whilst you get a rest, or spend more quality time with your younger son. Ask you GP or Health visitor for some advice, and let them know you are struggling, as that may help you get some help. Ignore your ex he obviously doesnt want you to be happy, and maybe HE should be offering some help!!!!!! I didnt realise until recently how lucky I have been getting the help I get until I read about how many people arent getting the help they should be getting Sad although I have been trying to get my son some new seating recently over the past few years, and my OT seems uselesss and I feel like reporting her !!!!!
Anyway, please go seek some help from GP, as you shouldnt be feeling so down and you have xmas coming, which should be a happy family time, and often it isnt due to added pressure and Children being home from school.
I wish you all the best, be strong, and keep fighting for your sons and yourselft. x x

• Established member
(12-13-2010, 03:04 PM)cheekymonkey Wrote: Hi all, i am really struggling at the moment. I am a single mum with two boys 7 and 4, my 7 yr old is autistic.

I jst hate waking up every day and the weekends fill me with dread, i just feel like i exist in this life that i have no purpose. I am alone in this, there is no where to take my Children out to as i often need another pair of hands to help me. My son with autism will not go anywhere so we end up doing the same thing each week and i don't know how much more i can take. I am having terrible thoughts like i wish i never had Children, why did i have to get a child with a disability and feel bad for thinking that.

My social worker is crap, she says there no help for me, i tell her i am struggling but doesnt seem to matter, in fact i have reported her !

I can't see any future for me, my ex tells me i will never find anyone else cos no one will take on my situation and that i should take him back but i just dont love him anymore.

I just want to be able to have some sort of life

I honestly think your first stop should be your doctors. Tell them how you are feeling and see what they suggest. I found seeing a counsellor helpful when i went through a bad time a few years ago. And your G.P may be able to refer you on to other agencies for support.

I don't where you live or what the services are like in your area but i find it hard to believe that there is nothing they can do to help.

Good luck x x

• VIP
Hi, I'm sorry you feel really down, but I can relate to what you are saying, we have two Autistic children and everyday for us is the same. And just like you social services told us there was no help and turned us down for direct payments. Even though both our children are classed as severe and get the higher rate DLA, Social services said that we did not meet their requirements. I definitely agree with the other posters that you should have a word with your GP. Your Doctor is usually a good point to start for lots of things. I've got to ask, why can't your Ex give you a break?
Anyway hope things start to improve