• Registered
im a mum of 3. i have gotten no were with they council i am currently under (south lanarkshire) and im still in an upper flat with a child who has cp and chronic lung disease. I applied to havant council and have been accepted by them but deemed a band 5. I dont think they have taken into concideration my daughters disability or illness so im waiting on them sending out the form. i am moving there as their dad and his family are down there and have offered what ever help i need, more than what my family are giving at the mo. my problem is havant council are saying that my best option is to private rent. Easy said, there are two agencies down there that accept dss and i have sent them my details, but my other problem is a deposit, havant doesnt have a deposit scheme and i live off the benefits i get, so not much room for saving, i have had to use a budgeting loan for xmas so thats a no go at the moment and i applied for a community care grant but they said no i didnt meet their criteria, and yes i did appeal, but it came back the same.
does anyone know of where else i can try and get help?

• VIP
the council offered to pay my deposit and months rent in advance to avoid housing me in a council house, i declined because none of the privately rented accomodation would have been suitable for the extensive adaptations we needed but they offered so i would assume other councils do this too, it may be worth calling the local housing advice office. although as you are not living in the area you wish to be housed in, it may cause a problem.....worth a phone call anyway.
carrie x

• Moderators
you should be higher up than band 5, i would also tell them you need a medical needs priority form and push the fact that you need to move to the area for support, when we were moving we were only going 10 miles down the road but thats where hubbys family lived and a friend that was helping us cope and because of this form we were put higher up on the list, would have got somewhere quicker but i waited for a particular house as it was at the end so meant matt could have a room that wouldnt disturb neighbours.
like carrie says if the council are recommending private rent then ask them to pay the deposit as one of the reasons ppl go for council houses is the no deposit plus point. also would a private rent be suitable for you? would your daughter need any adaptions for her to live there as private rents dont tend to do long term tenancies and you want to be somewhere you can make suitable
There comes a point in your life when you realize:Who matters,Who never did,Who won't anymore...And who always will..
So, don't worry about people from your past,there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

• Registered
thanks for your replies, i have had the medical for emailed to me so have it printed and will be filling it out when i get some peace from Children, once they have recieved this and i have a reply i will see them about the deposit. At present georgia doesnt need any adaptations to help her but dont know in the future, the cerebral palsy affects her legs and at 3 she isnt walking yet but does crawl. if in the future she does need things done and we are in a private rent then i assume the council would have to house us due to the adaptations not being possible in a private rent. At the moment my main concern is to get down there as i am now on my own with the 3 and at any time georgia could go into hospital and im stressed out just thinking about it. this is a bad time of year for her chest and so far we have had 6 weeks of constant chest infections, but i dont need to go to the doctors or hospital unless it get very bad as i have antibiotics to make up and oxygen at home.