• Established member
Done this the night it was aired! Have banned the programme completely in my household now.

• Registered
I have done my complaint also, am absolutely astounded that this was allowed to be on tv. When you think of the controversy surrounding the incident on radio re: Jonathon Ross/Russell Brand there was public outcry due to the sexual nature. This is about children that are disabled, innocent children that do not have a choice.

There is enough ignorance out there without them becoming a joke.

I found it quite distressing, poor Jordan and peter.

• Registered
Whilst I respect the fact that all the people who have commented in this thread feel Frankie Boyle's comments were outrageous, and cannot deny anyone the right to an opinion, I feel I must highlight the other side to this argument. What aired on Channel 4 was not an opinion or a point of view, it was simply shock comedy at its most extreme.

I am a father of four with a severely disabled daughter (severe C.P. , chronic lung disease, Beckwith Wiedmanns, reflux, etc. etc.) and I have found nothing personally offensive in any of the Frankie Boyle broadcasts - I admit there was a sharp intake of breath at the Katie Price jokes but nothing more - this type of humour is to be taken with a pinch of salt. It is definitely not worth stressing about the society we are bringing our Children into over - I am only 37 and I remember disability being shyed away from, people crossing the street for fear it was contagious or worse still, not even acknowledging the indvidual even existed.

I know it probably doesn't appear so to all who have posted here, but I think the fact that Channel 4 have actually allowed this programme to air shows that our society is moving forward in its attitude to disabled people - there is a confidence there to actually knock their weaknesses, after all any other group in society is fair game - please don't forget that Channel 4 has always been the first to challenge boundaries and push the minorties to the forefront on our screens. They have aired many programmes encouraging discussion about, and highlighted the plight of, many disabed groups over the years, without lowering themselves to the shock tactics and sensationalist methods used by other broadcasters.

I agree that it smarts a little bit when it's a child that is discussed in this way, but if we are to have liberty for all, freedom of speech and all that comes with it to make a fair society we have to take the rough with the smooth. I think Frankie Boyle has been misunderstood as some new Bernard Manning type, but it is not humour based on hatred and bigotry, it is not a sign of a lack of intellect or compassion for the society he jokes about, and his act is definitely not aimed at the lowest common denominator of society as the material of dinosaur comedians from the 70' and 80's was. If that was the case I would share your woes at the society we are bringing our children into, but if you compare this type of comedy to the most extreme horror movies or heavy metal/ rap music freely available to view and listen to - if the audience is appropriate for the material and vice versa, then as an educated group of individuals we can take the viewing for what it is - a brief respite from reality, that we either enjoy or never watch again, either way knowing none of it makes any difference. Censorship is definitely not the way to go - whether you choose to believe it or not, jokes are still made about every minority group daily, they are just more subtle and often humourous, but most importantly - they are not made for hate or bigotry, simply for comedy value. One defining element of the human make up is that we always have and always will highlight one anothers differences in a humourous fashion and its most often shared between close friends and family and comparitively rarely done out of hatred. The perfect example of this is Stephen Hawking - a loved and revered man across the world, but because of his one key weakness, his disability, the jokes at his expense are never ending and mostly made by those that respect him the most - nobody would ever consider these jokes inappropriate. I know it's that old cliche - 'but some of my best friends are black' - but I think that in todays multiracial and largely integrated society the large proportion of us have peers and/or relatives that fall into societys 'minority' groups, and so feel comfortable with such broad humour and other challenging medium.

My comments are not meant to be critical in any way of other threads, or to offend, I just think often times there is a knee-jerk reaction to such broadcasts and on this particular occasion I felt strongly enough to highlight my opinion as the parent of a young child in a similairly vulnerable position as the one at the centre of this controversy.

• Administrators
I respect your views however there is nothing knee jerk about my comments and i stand by these.
These comments were highly offensive and were having a joke at the expense of disabled children who could not defend themselves on the same platform.
Would the idiot Frankie Boyle feel like a joke was funny if lets say his child was disabled and it was repeated to him on the street whilst he was doing the grocery shopping?
So called jokes are repeated amongst others and cause offence.

You also compare the music scene with Frankie Boyles sense of comedy at least these types of music carry warnings such as "May contain sexual comments or refrences or may contain violence"
Whilst Frankie Boyles show may contain a generic warning it doesnt say may contain disability discrimnation.

Comments like this in fact take us back to the 70's and 80's where discrimation was rife.
There was nothing progressive about Frankie Boyles comments in the slightest.
It would be like using insulting words about race on television ,its not ok and its not right yet if we were to use the argument by yourself then you could possibly say that channel four were pushing boundries and including people.

Any sort of discrimination are not acceptable and the comments in relation to Katie Prices son were so wrong.
Yes have a pop at Katie Price as much as you like but to pick on a disabled child?

Can parents imagine how they would feel if they walked into Asda and a man at the checkout repeated these words about your child?
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• VIP
microwavebaby
i think your talking s**t
Heart mum of 2 Heart