• VIP
what does sensory rooms do??

would it be suitable for my daughter
she has severe learning disablilty
has problems with speech and her attention and lack of understanding
would this help in this area
try and save up and try and get some equipment (doubt ill beable to afford a bubble tube though they are expensive
Heart mum of 2 Heart

• Registered
We use the sensory room at our local family centre. It's lovely, a small room, it's very calming, we lie on the floor watching the lights. My son really enjoys our sessions there. Have you a local family centre with one that you could use?

As for buying items for the home, we've bought a fish bubble long light from argos, some rope lights and a couple of lava lamps, which my son loves. I've got him a disco ball for christmas, as he loves any sort of lights. I know that the specific sensory room items are very expensive, that's why we've ad libbed a bit, with other types of lights. Hope this helps x

• VIP
You could get funding for the equipment, try cerebra, family fund and i'm sure other people here can point you in the right direction of other places too.
HeartHeart Stacy HeartHeart
Mother to Terry 10 MLD + ADHD, Nicole 9 Cri-du-chat Syndrome ADHD Asthma GDD Coarctation, Jessica 4 Cri-Du-Chat Syndrome GDD Reflux

• VIP
Hi. I take Jack regularly to the sensory room at our local children's centre. For Jack it's about focussing his attention and understanding and. I guess, stimulating his senses. The room we visit has bubble tube, fibre optic tubes that can be played with, a light up mat that can be walked across, huge bean bags, a black out play tent with ultra violet light so the UV toys can be played with in there (though Jack hates that bit) and all sorts of touchy feely toys plus lovely relaxing music.

I think your daughter would benefit from a visit to a sensory room - have you asked your portage worker or health visitor or children's centre if they know of one near you? You're right that sensory equipment is expensive - though have you checked out Daniel's website for Cheap Disability Toys - there's some great stuff on there and really reasonably priced. Bubble tubes are horrendously expensive but Amazon and Argos do one for about £40 (still not cheap but better than those that run into the £100's. We got one from Amazon and it's fab plus it has plastic fish in it and changes colour - well worth a look. x

• Registered
(12-01-2010, 01:10 PM)slharris28 Wrote: You could get funding for the equipment, try cerebra, family fund and i'm sure other people here can point you in the right direction of other places too.

Just wanted to say, unfortunately I know that Cerebra have run out of money for funding at the moment.Confused