• VIP
Sorry if this is not in the right section Blush Our little girl has low muscle tone and after a sudden spurt in pysical development she has gone from starting to crawl at the end of august to starting to move with furniture in the last few weeks. There has been mention of piedro boots as her ankles are quite week and her balance is not good. But our physio now doesn't seem keen. I was just wondering if people could help ma understand exactly what the boots are for as I'm not sure if the pysiois trying to save money and or being as useless as with everthing else! She is visiting this week so i'm trying to work out if i need to start fighting or not
thanks
rachel

• VIP
Hi my son is also low muscle tone and same as started crawling and pulling himself up , but he still cant weight bear . He has just been measured for new piedro boots , this will be his 2nd pair . I dont know why your daughter shouldnt have a pair , unless they think she doesnt need the support on her ankles . Sorry cant be much help , hopefully someone will know more for you. Good luck
Single mum to a 14year old daughter and a son who is 3years old who has severe learning disability , hypotonia , hypermobility , visual impaired and sensory issues , he has showed me the meaning of life Heart and 3rd baby due 2nd of January 2012

Hi
My daughter has Piedro boots as she has Hypermobile joints (laxity in the joints) and hypotonia (low muscle tone). She has boots as well as inserts to support her ankles. Her ankles will dip inwards and wobble so the boots and inserts keep her ankles in the correct position while her ligaments and muscles get stronger and mature. If she didn't have them her ankles would eventually be deformed and other parts of her feet and ankles would try and take the strain and get damaged.
These boots have really helped and her ankles

whoops think the laptop got a bit excited!.... was trying to say the boots and inserts have really helped and the hypermobility in her ankles have gone from being severe to mild to moderate. She is now 2 1/2 and has been walking for 6 months.

Maybe ask to be referred to the Orthotics department to see what they think. They deal with the boots. Boots alone I believe cost about £70 a pair.
I think each hospital is different . Some seem to give just boots, some just inserts and if you're lucky some give both.
Hope you get somewhere x

• VIP
My little boy had had piedro boots since before he could stand. He has low tone too due to a genetic condition and the boots are used to help create stability, strengthen the ankle, create a better arch and probably much more they are great. T