• VIP
(11-28-2010, 01:17 PM)worthyju Wrote: Sam is on movicol and I don't think it works particularly well. some days it makes him really loose and others it does absolutely nothing at all and there is no change to his diet as he is mostly tube fed. In the past we used lactulose with senna and that worked a little too well! i have found the best thing for Sam is just a small amount of prune juice which I usually just put into his gastrostomy tube. is your little one totally orally fed? I would try pushing lots of fruit in the diet to aid digestion. Sam is non verbal so I don't know if the movicol makes him feel bad or anything, but i suspect not as we can usually tell by his behaviour if something isn't right.

Hope you find something that works

thankyou for ur reply hun i think he needs fruit in him ...i have a juicer i will have to start using it alot i think

he is orally fed but mushy kinda stuff xx

• VIP
hi, my son used to suffer real bad constipation only passing motion once a week! you knew it was coming because he thrashed around for hours must have been in terrible pain. movicol was useless, he was on nutrini and nutrini fibre. the turning point was when he had a gastric bug and was admitted to hospital march 2010, he built up an intolerance to his milk and had to go onto soya milk, straight away he became more regular passing motion everyday! he has been on the soya milk since and we have had no more problems
I never thought it would happen to me.

• VIP
awww thax hun that chart is very handy too

no we dont see a incontinence nurse isnt that the ones which provide you with free nappies etc? we was told he cant have them till hes 4 years old.....how do i contact a incontinence nurse?
[/quote]/
i think its usually through your paeditricain or gp /health visitor
just ask for your child to be referd to an incontinence nurse
yes its the incontinence nurse that sorts out the nappys

but i would strongly advised seeing an incontinence nurse they helped me out loads
they make you monitor bowels , bladder and drinks through charts
then take charts to her and she suggest ideas

but she given ideas like child blowing bubbles whilst on toilet
and when the child is sat on toilet make sure the knees is higher than the waist
i do this by using toilet step
Heart mum of 2 Heart

• VIP
(11-28-2010, 07:14 PM)lexie lamb Wrote: hi, my son used to suffer real bad constipation only passing motion once a week! you knew it was coming because he thrashed around for hours must have been in terrible pain. movicol was useless, he was on nutrini and nutrini fibre. the turning point was when he had a gastric bug and was admitted to hospital march 2010, he built up an intolerance to his milk and had to go onto soya milk, straight away he became more regular passing motion everyday! he has been on the soya milk since and we have had no more problems

thanx for that
how did u know ur child was intolerance to milk? im not sure but think my son is not too good with milk im sure he bloats up when he has had milk and another thing is he swallows hes burps and keeps swallowing and it makes him all funny ...i was going to try him with soya milk but not sure if its a good move??? he was in hospital beginning of the month he hadnt open hes bowls for a week n half and was vommiting , he had about 13 spouts of vomit in half a day and they xrayed hes chest and said he was full of poo and gas up the top , so kept him in and filled him up with lactulose which never worked , and he refused to eat and drink as he was traumatised so therefore went on a drip
it wasnt very nice , in the end they had to give him a enema to get rid of the poo ....and told us to give him movicol everyday and keep upping the dose , which we did and now it has worked after about a week to kick in , and now we give everyday about half to one sachet but he feels so dehydrated with it and he keeps complaining hes head hurts ......

• VIP
may be he not drinking enuf fluids
if i was you id check it out with the dr
have you checked the instuctions to see if theres any side effects
Heart mum of 2 Heart