• Registered
(12-19-2009, 09:15 PM)keelyjrs Wrote: Hi

I just wanted to share with you what we have done in Thomas's bedroom in case anyone would like to do the same for their child.

Thomas responds very well to sensory rooms so we decided we would make his bedroom into one. We don't have bundles of money, so it had to be "on the cheap". This is what we did.....

He already had pale lemon on his walls except for one we painted a wavy line of yellow at the bottom, big wavy blue section in the middle and small section left neutral at the top of the wall. This is your sky, sea and seabed. We bought some giant stickers from ebay and stuck them on the painted wall... fish, bubbles, treasure chest, dolphin, whale and seahorses etc.

We bought a bubble tube from argos for £15
mirror ball with lights from maplins £13
Bubble blowing machine from maplins £7
UV blacklight from maplins £14

We also went to hawkins bazaar
(they have website too) and bought some squishy balls, a ball that lights up when you throw it, a ball that lights up and makes a weird noise when you hold it, a groaning tube which glows bright green under the uv light and a bell like the ones you get in a hotel reception.

Every night after dinner we give him a session before his bath and it really helps to calm him down. Of course he still doesn't give into anywhere between midnight and 3am but that's just Thomas lol. It does have a good effect on his mood, and his aggression seems to have improved since we started the regular sessions

It might not be perfect or as good as spacecraft but it's a start and a bloomin site cheaper lol

Hope this helps someone else

Keely x

hi i just wanted to write back to you as iv'e done the same for my daughter who is 13yrs ive turned our spare bedroom into a sensory room too. I went our and brought a big massive bubble tube with fish in it and some lava lamps my abby likes them. Then i brought a ball that projects different shades of pink. Then i brought her some balls with facial expressions on them because she can't read facial expressions.. massage pillows are good too and aromotherapy is suposed to be good too..Also i brought a projector that shows whales and butterflies and liquid. she's calm in there.

• Registered
aww thnxs for info been trying to get lara some bits like tht never thought ov going to maplin :O
Heart Smile tasha n lara-leighSmile Heart

• VIP
Ah thats great Jane, it is a lovely feeling when you see that your hard work has paid off! Thomas is very rarely calm, but the sensory stuff does help him
Keely x

• Registered
(04-16-2010, 06:03 PM)keelyjrs Wrote: Ah thats great Jane, it is a lovely feeling when you see that your hard work has paid off! Thomas is very rarely calm, but the sensory stuff does help him

hiya keely abby is rarely calm but the room is nice and i feel very pleased that i made the effort..her sensory equipment does work most of the time. have you tried a bearhug abby wears one and she's so calm she wears it horse riding. xSleepy

• VIP
a bearhug? Is that like a weighted vest? We don't think Thomas would tolerate one right now but togs4specialsprogs do them so we'll probably try one when he is a bit bigger.

Does she go horseriding through the disabled riding scheme? I really want to see if that is something Thomas would enjoy as he loves animals
Keely x