• Registered
Hi, new here, hows everyone?

I would like some advice please, I have been a Family Fund member for a about 5 years now and only used them twice once at the beginning to replace my fridge and once for a washer that went dolally, but I haven't used them for 3 years, so i have rang for an application again, and I meet the criteria but, my suite is completely knackered basically as Tomm likes to jump on them and throw things at them, spill his drinks and food all over them and the occasional accidents on them so through the wear and tear of normal everyday life and then Tomms added Wear and Tear and the major league over cleaning then are basically some planks of wood with a bit of padding and some cotton threads!

anyhoo, as such they really are becoming unhygienic and the odd cut and bruise is occurring so, does anyone have an experience or advice on whether I can ask for a new suite? and if so any idea what company they use or is it your own choice?

any help appreciated.

• Registered
forgot to mention, reason I cant afford to do this myself is basically i have recently learnt to drive for Tomms sake mainly appointments etc and public transport isn't his friend, so the cost of £1000.00 car £1000.00 insurance and £200.00 Tax i have basically eaten everything i have saved for all year, i really don't want to go the credit route as I those silly shops that give credit to unemployed low income families should be destroyed!.

• Administrators
Not too sure on this but not sure if it would be an item that family fund could assist with.
In terms of things family fund do help with they list some examples on the family fund website website:

http://www.familyfund.org.uk/page.asp?section=0001000100010017&sectionTitle=Grant+items

The main criteria for family fund is:
We will consider any grant request that will make a difference to the lives of a disabled child, young person and their family

They do fund things such as cookers and fridge freezers so they could possibly help as at the end of the day you said yourself its because of your son it needs replacing so soon.
Maybe the family fund advisers can confirm this?

As a back up option whats your work/benefit situation as im wondering if a budgeting loan would be an option as well?
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• Registered
(11-25-2010, 09:30 PM)Daniel Wrote: Not too sure on this but not sure if it would be an item that family fund could assist with.
In terms of things family fund do help with they list some examples on the family fund website website:

hxxp://www.familyfund.org.uk/page.asp?section=0001000100010017&sectionTitle=Grant+items

The main criteria for family fund is:
We will consider any grant request that will make a difference to the lives of a disabled child, young person and their family

They do fund things such as cookers and fridge freezers so they could possibly help as at the end of the day you said yourself its because of your son it needs replacing so soon.
Maybe the family fund advisers can confirm this?

As a back up option whats your work/benefit situation as im wondering if a budgeting loan would be an option as well?

yeah for some reason i was offered a budgeting loan of £80! and community care grant refused with no reason, and a reason I am yet waiting to hear about but it doesn't look good. I live in a small rural town in South Wales (wish it was New South Wales!) as such the councils budget is very limited so its very difficult to obtain anything unless it would cause some sort of discrimination.

• Registered
I was thinking that because of the need to buy a car and insure it etc, that it has taken away from any possibility to replace the suite which has lasted a far shorter time than it should of, of course the car has changed Tomms life, i can take him to school now and make sure he gets in OK, take him on trips and days out where as that was never possible with his fear of unfamiliar crowed small areas like a coach or train, I don't have to fight with him to get him to walk any distance short or small, its made it so much safer for him and anyone around him too, and his brothers and sisters too are better off also, they can now enjoy things in life they should be taking for granted but couldn't because of Tomms requirements. i can put up with a broken sofa in the meantime but it would be nice if they could help.