• VIP
Hi Daniel, the LEA are doing the statement. I did try to sort it amicably but they said they were 'too busy' - unbelievable.

DLA are saying that my son has probably not got learning difficulties in the severe category and that he takes part in all school activities - he is not severely mentally impaired. He does not take part in PE, playtime.lunchtime play,has not been allowed school dinners due to health and safety, and is not allowed on school trips unless I go too - so he does not take part in all school activities. He has an average abstract IQ yet cannot access the curriculum unless it is highly adapted and directed and they have all the evidence in front of them. Both have been going on for over a year and it is wearing me thin.

Luckily I have a welfare rights officer coming to me in the morning to review it all re the DLA, as the tribunal will be coming up soon. Am very nervous but will attend for what I believe he is entitled to.

• Administrators
Hi LouLou

Good for you for fighting for what your son deserves, it's unbelievable the amount of people I have come across who give their children an incredible amount of care (ontop of what every child needs) and they still struggle for DLA! Yet their are adults out there who clearly lie and get everything they want!! The system is so wrong.

Im sure you will do fine at your tribunal, have you tried maybe keeping a diary of all you do? just to make it easier to sit and look at all the extra care you offer? sometimes the big things are obvious but there may even be small things you have adapted to doing, but are so used to it you miss them.

Let me know how you get on with the welfare officer,

Lucy xx

• VIP
Hi Lucy, I know it is absolutely ridiculous. I even have a report from a consultant psychologist who says she completely backs my appeal. I have actually found a diary I kept for months about the things that had to be done or things that happened everyday so I shall give them that. I have even sent in letters from the local housing association regarding all the lock changes I had done to my front door due to my son escaping - even when I was asleep one morning. Talk about degrading myself to prove a point. Because he had a WISC IV intelligence test done at Guys and the results were good - but autism typical profile - spiky - they think he is ok. Ridiculous. The school wrote to DLA and said he feeds ok. BUT, he has not been allowed school dinners for over a year. So I rang them up yesterday and said I want him to have school dinners - then let them say that he eats well!!! Of course he can eat the food I pack in his lunch bag - I know what he likes to snack on but give him a cooked meal and he loses it!! Can't wait to see what the school have to say after tomorrow! lol

Will let you know how it goes today. xx

• Administrators
Have the school formally asked you to provide sandwiches rather than a cooked meal?
If so could they provide a letter in writing also explaining the reasoning behind it?
I think the crucial thing here would be as much evidence as you can possibly compile in a dossier as such ready for the appeal.
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• VIP
Well yes they did. Josh is dangerous with his fork and got it caught in a girls hair...after nearly getting her face. He then strangled one of the dinner ladies and wouldn't let go. So that's when they told me he had to take packed lunch.

I actually wrote a letter to the DLA to back up what I have said. The school are going to read it and sign it too if they agree with it. They did write a letter but it was about all the wrong things. I spoke to the local autistic society and they told me to write the letter and get the school to sign it.