• Registered
Hi,

My son started preschool this sept and is attending 5 mornings a week, his funding has just been sorted for him to have extra help while he's at preschool. This extra help is in the form of a somebody working one to one with him. Today I have met his support for the first time and I'm not very clued up on how the system works but I thought I recognised her face and then she went on to tell me that her son also attends the preschool.

Now my question is, is this normal practice? When funding has been arranged for a child to have one to one support can the setting just hire another mum who has a child attending at the same time?

When I found out I wasn't pleased, I just feel that they rushed into getting someone as they couldn't find anybody else as I don't think she holds all the necessary qualifications to support him(as told to me by the manager). But my biggest concern is that her child attends the same preschool and it's open plan and a small setting, how can anyone really detatch themselves and do their job with their child there? To me it's a conflict of interest and I'm really hoping somebody who knows how the system works can advise me on how to tackle this with the preschool.

Thanks

Dee

• VIP
Ask if she has the qualifications and experience to work 1-2-1 with your child, if not, ask them why they hired her and tell them that you want her replaced, i don't know the legal bits of it but i'm sure someone here could help more.

I wouldn't be pleased either.
HeartHeart Stacy HeartHeart
Mother to Terry 10 MLD + ADHD, Nicole 9 Cri-du-chat Syndrome ADHD Asthma GDD Coarctation, Jessica 4 Cri-Du-Chat Syndrome GDD Reflux

• VIP
(11-09-2010, 04:25 PM)Adink Wrote: Hi,

My son started preschool this sept and is attending 5 mornings a week, his funding has just been sorted for him to have extra help while he's at preschool. This extra help is in the form of a somebody working one to one with him. Today I have met his support for the first time and I'm not very clued up on how the system works but I thought I recognised her face and then she went on to tell me that her son also attends the preschool.

Now my question is, is this normal practice? When funding has been arranged for a child to have one to one support can the setting just hire another mum who has a child attending at the same time?

When I found out I wasn't pleased, I just feel that they rushed into getting someone as they couldn't find anybody else as I don't think she holds all the necessary qualifications to support him(as told to me by the manager). But my biggest concern is that her child attends the same preschool and it's open plan and a small setting, how can anyone really detatch themselves and do their job with their child there? To me it's a conflict of interest and I'm really hoping somebody who knows how the system works can advise me on how to tackle this with the preschool.

Thanks

Dee

My son is in exactly the same situation! Only he's in full time school (a very small one). I wasn't happy about the qualification thing but they have formed such a bond that everything is good. Jack's 1-1 works closely with all his professionals and is really good with him. I wasn't worried aboout her daughter being in the same class because she assured me it would be ok. Her daughter calls her Miss (name) at school! I say give it a go but keep a close eye on things and flag up any issues you aren't happy with. x
Heart Lizzie Heart

Mummy to a lovely boy called Jack who is 4.
Jack has Cerebral Palsy, Auditory Neuropathy, Cerebral Visual Impairment and Nystagmus.

• VIP
My son has been supported on a 1-21 since nursery - his TA has a daughter in the same school (different year) and was a school helper.

His class teacher and head teacher put out an internal advertisement within the LA for his support adn she applied. 5 'helpers' in the school applied and they all spent time with him being monitored how they (and him) interacted together by the head.

I must admit she is brilliant with him; regardless of what he throws at her (literally) or how bad his behaviour get she deals with it in a calm but firm way. She is only employed to deal (support) him - when he is not in school her time is spent preparing things for him. School were allocated an additional 5 hours per week (on top of his 26 hours) to cover his lunch times but he didn't bond with anyone else so she also supports him at lunch. Her break is taken when he has his daily shutdown(sleep) at 2.30.

We suspect we are on count down to being aksed to send him to another school who can deal with his behavioural / non verabl issues, the only problem is she will loose her job when he eventually changes school as she is only employed for him. On a positive note his school wil try and keep him there until they can no longer manage his behaviour or he becomes too distruptive in class to teach the others.
Good Friends are like stars;

You don't often see them ...
... but you know they're always there