• Registered
Another blow to the rights of disabled children. Over 250 children effected by Epilim (Sodium Valproate) in utero having been fighting the drug company which supplies the drug. This so far has taken several years. Two weeks before the trial date of 15th November, the Legal Services Commission has withdrawn all the certificates for the children. The firm supporting the families is Irwin Mitchell and they are doing their utmost to get this changed, but it is an uphill struggle.

This action by the LSC removes the right of access to justice for all of these children and their families. It is shocking, but not an isolated incident. Think of all those Tribunals that families have to fight and you find that just maybe the legal system is not designed to better the lives of our children after all, no matter what parliament or government (of any description) leads us to believe.

Hopefully the press will get hold of this.

Angry

• VIP
i heard this on the news this morning and couldn't believe they'd done it. i thought that legal aid for this kind of thing was a given... i'd be interested to know why it's been withdrawn.

• Registered
(11-08-2010, 12:14 PM)Nathard Wrote: i heard this on the news this morning and couldn't believe they'd done it. i thought that legal aid for this kind of thing was a given... i'd be interested to know why it's been withdrawn.

Oh, good it has made the news - which one? Not allowed to say any more about reasoning and I also don't get why except it is always about money of course.

• Administrators
I heard it this morning too on the radio news, bbc wm (west midlands). Its shocking but they did the same with the mmr legal case years ago, withdrew legal aid. Disgraceful