• Registered
in the end i want him in a special school, from speaking to inclusion services my view was that they would up his statement to band five and he would spend another 6 months in school. i was promised lots of things would change and that i would be included every step of the way.

last school year he was in reception and it was great, even though he didnt make much progress you could tell he was happy i had daily contact with his one keyworker and i was made to feel reassured he was getting well looked after and i was included on decisions of things he would learn and in turn i supported these things at home. dont get me wrong he still really struggled with his behaviour and learning and the school funded it all because his statement kept being refused. now something happened with his keyworker, this lady was brought in as a new member of staff to teach my son. she was lovely and great, a really good keyworker. about a month before they were due for the 6 weeks hoilday the headteacher pulled me up to say could we have a chat. they were putting the job vacancy back in the paper for position of reece's keyworker, that she felt the current one shouldnt teach him anymore incase he gets really attached to her. she said some special needs children wont even go to the toilet without their keyworker. i said oh right but didnt know what else to say but how good she had been for reece so far. and i was told not to discuss it. then a week later his keyworker came to me and said 'im not suppose to say anything, but im getting let off. they want someone else in to be your sons keyworker, but i thought i would tell you as i feel we have had built up a good relationship'. i said to her isnt there anyway around it, and would she like me to put a recommendation in that i wish her to continue being his keyworker. she said to give her a week as she was consulting outside agencys to find out her rights, she did have rights to apply for the position again and she was interviewed along with 4 others. but then she distanced herself from me, not that i thought we were actual friends or anything but had a good teacher/parent relationship. she started to avoid me when i brought and picked reece up. so i didnt bother trying. then she came up to me a few days before they broke up saying she had got the job again.

but at the start of this year she wasnt with reece she was teaching a class, reece then ended up being banded in the bottom group of the class and moved on. i picked up on this while trying to pin down his one-to-one that had disappeared. then parents evening i was told something was going terribly wrong, hence the review in january. but i wanted to make changes now to make it easier on my son. but even though ive been making a pest of myself i just dont feel like im getting much back from the school. all the support has gone, and i dont feel reassured at all. but as ive been saying they have their hands full with another boy who plays up for attention and gets full time help and isnt even special needs. this boy has also been bullying my son but they feel time out is enough, but the next day hes hitting my son again. as well as other hitting him, i think they arent tolerating him anymore as his mental age is delayed by over 3 years and with him losing his one-to-one there is noone to help reece manage his behaviour. and no wonder hes playing up when hes having to sit for over an hour at a time. but school keep saying 'i cant tell you that' on everything or saying its someone else job. so speaking to the head when i was on the verge of tears wouldnt have been helpful, as by her letter it is clear they think they are giving him more than enough anyway. everyone has something to say but its all in confidence, so i have no hard facts but the info is coming from very good and reliable sources but they are being threatened with losing there jobs if they tell me.

i just want them to give him what he had last year, until i can get him into a special school. but in the run up to the review that is in january they have totally ruined the relationship i had with them.

• VIP
Becky did the changes with the keyworker happen before or after he got his statement finalised?

• Registered
before i think, but i didnt know about them until october. i knew something was very wrong as his usually keyworker was doing her best to avoid me but i always go in school to try and talk about things that have happened at home or recent developments. but they just say they cant tell me anything now and have to wait for the review. i requested a summary of his current difficulties and she said she would have it ready for my visits to the special schools, then when it came to it the head had told her she would have to do it for the review no sooner. they think that calling the review is enough, but i want some support in the mean time as its affecting his behaviour greatly.

ive had him home today and he has been alot better.

• Registered
i met with the parent partnership, who says i should be included every step of the way in his education. the meeting was also with my family support worker and my daughters senco officer. we went through reece's files and reliased that when he was at a small setting nursery he made progress which has regressed since he went to mainstream. we wrote a letter to reece's doctor so that she could be brought upto date before us having the review. it states his ongoing problems and says that the primary need on the statement needs to be changed. ive given some good points on why he should be assesed for a diagnosis of ASD, although she has already agreed he has autistic traits. but she hasnt seen him for a year, we had that assesment in august or sept and he dragged me out of the building. he was so angry and wouldnt listen to staff, he was pulling on me so strong and the doctor was following us to say she would send another appointment and shes really sorry clinic was so delayed. i will beable to tell her this is how he gets all the time if he cant have his own way, she has never seen it before as he gets in the doctors office and hes like in ore of his surroundings and there is toys he cant play with. plus there is this really nice lady who is the doctors assistant, so he goes quiet and nods alot. although i think if she saw him now there would be no denying the ASD, or at the very least the mental retardation. hes no further on than last year or the years before that. i have loads of really good things to say, as before i used to tell her all the postives and now i think about it i should have been concentrating on how bad his behaviour is. in the letter we put that his routine based obbessions are ruling his and my life and our life as a family.