#6
Posts: 430 | Threads: 27
Joined: Oct 2009
Reputation: 0

  • Registered
the head sent a letter home with my older son, it seems that on my sons current statement he cant have playtime supervision. it goes on to say my son plays beautifully at breaks (yes he does but other children have still been attacking him). it also states this other boy doesnt recieve any one-to-one (its her own son who is with him all the time). seems i have a unrealistic view on what to expect from school and my sons education.
#7
Posts: 1,853 | Threads: 41
Joined: Oct 2009
Reputation: 13

  • Administrators
:o did they actually say that??

xx
#8
Posts: 110 | Threads: 10
Joined: Oct 2009
Reputation: 0

  • VIP
I think you have been looking at other schools, did you find one to suit your son Becky? Are you going to formally request a change of school at the review meeting? I'm not surprised you are keeping him off school, there seems to be bullying going on here that the school are not dealing with - disgraceful Angry

When is your review date?
#9
Posts: 430 | Threads: 27
Joined: Oct 2009
Reputation: 0

  • Registered
every special school i went to suited my son and daughter, i really want him in. the review is jan 13th or something, lots of people will be there but the jist of it is they will up my sons statement to band five and see how he goes for 6 months. the heads letter states that he is funded the 20 hours and the school aready fund the rest - therefore admitting he is receiving the band 5 support anyway and that hasnt been working. so now i can take this letter with me to the review and say 'there is no point of him carrying on in mainstream for 6 months' and 'here it is in writing hes already been getting band 5 help for well over a year and half'.

they came to me and said things had gone horribly wrong, then said oops we cant say that.... then theres the he said she said..... and the off the record but offically i cant say. if all the times ive tried to communicate with school to get to this point when i was so upset i couldnt see anything productive coming from a chat with the head teacher with me sobbing my heart out. so i left the letter instead, they were all passing me while i was writting it. it wouldnt have been productive because i wouldnt have got any extra support for him as they say his statement doesnt fund it.

so how does a special needs child get a playtime escort?
#10
Posts: 110 | Threads: 10
Joined: Oct 2009
Reputation: 0

  • VIP
Hi Becky Smile

If you want your son to change schools, put in a written request to the named officer on your statement, naming the school you want him to attend. You don't have to wait for a review to do this, and it usually takes a full term for all the paperwork and switching over to take place. Your named officer will request written reports first, but your report as your son's mother will bear the most weight so don't worry too much what his current school may say. They have to give a very good reason, in writing, to turn down your request - such as your son's attendance at the new school would have a detrimental effect on the other pupils. As you have already been to visit I'm sure you would have been told if the school thought your son would not receive the right help, so the LEA would probably struggle to find a valid reason for refusing you. Remember it is NOT your son's current school who can make the decision, they can only write a report either supporting the move or not, it is down to the LEA to make the decision.

Now, if there are no places at the school available, that makes no difference. Your son is statemented, which means they have a LEGAL obligation to provide the support, and create the place by employing a TA at the new school. Don't let them fob you off by saying there aren't the funds, this is not your problem and again they have a LEGAL obligation to provide the relevant funds. It may mean you will have to argue the toss with them, but if you wish I will find and link all the documentation you will need if the LEA try to wriggle out of their obligations :cmas_emoticon066:

You could also choose to take him out of school until this is sorted - it's an option as the law states you can home educate so you could do this until he changes schools, but as school is sometimes the only break you get it's a touch choice!

If you want to go down this route I will help you any way I can, because I do think (and it's only my opinion) that you are flogging a dead horse with his current school, I don't think they are looking out for the interests of your son and I don't think they'll change either. Anyway I hope this helps a little

Take care

Maggie x


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)