• VIP
How can people even think of doing something like this, never mind actually doing it. IDIOTS.

THE struggling parents of an autistic schoolboy were left in shock after education chiefs who promised him an outdoor play area built a cage like a DOG-RUN.

The lad's family had begged for a safe space for the 18-year-old who is kept apart from other Children because of his severe form of the condition.

After raising £500 for the facility at the Nicholson Institute in Stornoway on the isle of Lewis, they looked forward to a fun area with decking and play equipment.

But they were dismayed to see the narrow compound just a few feet wide. Last night an Autism charity branded the cage "a disgrace and 100 per cent cruel".

Autism Trust founder Polly Tommey said: "This is beyond belief. This boy should be mixing with other people and learning, not locked in a cage."

A pal of the family, who do not want to be identified, said: "They were heartbroken and horrified.

"They have nothing but praise for the teachers who have cared for this lad for so long but they have enough on their plates without discovering something that looks like it came out of the orphanages of Romania."

Shamed Western Isles bosses have since demolished the structure.

But last night local MSP Alasdair Allan demanded a probe.

Dr Allan said: "If that's the council's idea of an outside play area, there's a problem.

"It's made worse by the fact there has been fund raising and the council had promised decking and play equipment."

Western Isles Council said: "It was built with the best intentions, but perhaps the right degree of thought was not put into it.

"We are in discussion with the family to solve this."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/article3205386.ece#ixzz143Vtx5hy
HeartHeart Stacy HeartHeart
Mother to Terry 10 MLD + ADHD, Nicole 9 Cri-du-chat Syndrome ADHD Asthma GDD Coarctation, Jessica 4 Cri-Du-Chat Syndrome GDD Reflux

• VIP
(11-01-2010, 06:14 PM)slharris28 Wrote: How can people even think of doing something like this, never mind actually doing it. IDIOTS.

THE struggling parents of an autistic schoolboy were left in shock after education chiefs who promised him an outdoor play area built a cage like a DOG-RUN.

The lad's family had begged for a safe space for the 18-year-old who is kept apart from other Children because of his severe form of the condition.

After raising £500 for the facility at the Nicholson Institute in Stornoway on the isle of Lewis, they looked forward to a fun area with decking and play equipment.

But they were dismayed to see the narrow compound just a few feet wide. Last night an Autism charity branded the cage "a disgrace and 100 per cent cruel".

Autism Trust founder Polly Tommey said: "This is beyond belief. This boy should be mixing with other people and learning, not locked in a cage."

A pal of the family, who do not want to be identified, said: "They were heartbroken and horrified.

"They have nothing but praise for the teachers who have cared for this lad for so long but they have enough on their plates without discovering something that looks like it came out of the orphanages of Romania."

Shamed Western Isles bosses have since demolished the structure.

But last night local MSP Alasdair Allan demanded a probe.

Dr Allan said: "If that's the council's idea of an outside play area, there's a problem.

"It's made worse by the fact there has been fund raising and the council had promised decking and play equipment."

Western Isles Council said: "It was built with the best intentions, but perhaps the right degree of thought was not put into it.

"We are in discussion with the family to solve this."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/article3205386.ece#ixzz143Vtx5hy

i cant belive what ive just seen
its sickening
Heart mum of 2 Heart

• Established member
That is absolutely awful, he is not an animal so why are they looking to treat him like one

• Administrators
I came across this the other day on my phone when Euan was in hospital and couldnt believe what i was looking at Sad
Some people just have no idea do they? Sad
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• VIP
i've seen some stupid ideas in my time, but that really truely does take the biscuit!