• Registered
does anyone know of a child with quad cp that can walk, would be good to hear from you

• VIP
i would also be interested to read the replies to this thread. sorry i havnt got the answer for you. my son has quad cp aged 3 1/2 he started off in a standing frame, then a rifton pacer walker and having grown out of this he now has a leckey kidwalk. he can weigh bear and has a good walking motion, his legs dont appear twisted. i dont know if he will ever be completely mobile without the use of some sort of supporting aid? but when i think of how far he has come and the difference being upright has made i never give up hoping for the future!
I never thought it would happen to me.

• VIP
jacob's physio and i had a chat with this she said around 1-2% children with diagnosed quad CP manage to walk, she also said that in her opinion (unsure as to whether or not i agree with her or not) those who do manage to walk are more than likely mis-diagnosed and actually have a more severe form of one of the other types of CP most likely diplegia.
i think deep down i know that jacob will never walk, he'll be 3 in december and cant even be kept upright when you hold him, however he is so quick at crawling that i cant help but hold out a little bit of hope that if he's overcome that hurdle then he might also manage walking at some point. :-) i think its important to keep that little bit of hope there, not so much that you're hugely disappointed if it doesnt happen but enough to make sure you never give up pushing that little bit.
carrie xx

• Registered
(10-31-2010, 02:31 PM)lexie lamb Wrote: i would also be interested to read the replies to this thread. sorry i havnt got the answer for you. my son has quad cp aged 3 1/2 he started off in a standing frame, then a rifton pacer walker and having grown out of this he now has a leckey kidwalk. he can weigh bear and has a good walking motion, his legs dont appear twisted. i dont know if he will ever be completely mobile without the use of some sort of supporting aid? but when i think of how far he has come and the difference being upright has made i never give up hoping for the future!
thanks for the reply, at what age did your son get the rifton pacer and has he got good trunk control

• Registered
(10-31-2010, 02:36 PM)logan_jacob_mummy Wrote: jacob's physio and i had a chat with this she said around 1-2% children with diagnosed quad CP manage to walk, she also said that in her opinion (unsure as to whether or not i agree with her or not) those who do manage to walk are more than likely mis-diagnosed and actually have a more severe form of one of the other types of CP most likely diplegia.
i think deep down i know that jacob will never walk, he'll be 3 in december and cant even be kept upright when you hold him, however he is so quick at crawling that i cant help but hold out a little bit of hope that if he's overcome that hurdle then he might also manage walking at some point. :-) i think its important to keep that little bit of hope there, not so much that you're hugely disappointed if it doesnt happen but enough to make sure you never give up pushing that little bit.
carrie xx
thanks for the reply carrie, at what age did jacob crawl and can he sit up, never give up hope special children can have many surprises
shaz