#1
Posts: 29 | Threads: 6
Joined: Jul 2010
Reputation: 0

  • Established member
Hi, I've been sticking my head in the sand about getting a statement for my daughter, Abi (who will be 4 next July), as I thought our county Early Years SEN Inclusion teacher was doing it. I tried to talk about statementing back in May I was told to hang on whilst a Educational Psychologist saw Abi and then to wait until she had had a Multi Disciplinary Team assessment at the local hospital. This has now all happened but stupidly I've only just realised that this was a way of all of the professionals involved in Abi avoiding statementing her.

This evening I realised that our county council say we have to put Abi down for a school by 17th January - less than 3 months away! Our local school (where Abi is at nursery) was oversubscribed by 16 children last year all living where I do, so our chances of getting a place without a statement are slim. I know that I need to start the statementing myself but remember being told it takes a year so am guessing I won't be in time for the school applicatioin date - Does anyone know if I can statement without putting down a school please? Also if anyone knows what the quickest time a statement can be done in can you let me know?

Abi currently receives 1 to 1 provision and only yesterday right next to her Teaching Assistant was knocked clean off her feet onto her back (from which she can't get up), banging her head. Luckily I send her to school in a protective hat but the thought of Abi having to begin school next September with no extra support is really scary. Abi's needs have been labelled as 'complex' by various profs and she is 'physically vulnerable', the DLA agree as she gets highest rate DLA and the higher mobility component but I don't know if that helps with statementing.

Has anyone been in this position as Abi is getting on so well at nursery and she is beginning to speak more and understand more. It will be a complete blow for her not to attend school but I think I would be a negligent parent to let her go without 1:1 as she wouldn't be safe.

I really hope I am having a bad eve here and having a panic about nothing. All I know is that our SEN teacher didn't want to statement Abi originally as she said the county put pressure on her to keep the numbers low and Abi would have to be half her developmental age in an area to be statemented. The thing is Abi can run and almost jump (can't do stairs) buy that actually makes things worse as it means she falls over at speed.

Sorry this wasn't meant to be such a long post I'm just hoping someone out there might have some ideas.

Thank you for reading
Sue
#2
Posts: 53 | Threads: 2
Joined: Aug 2010
Reputation: 0

  • VIP
i suspect all you can do at this stage is to write the letter to your LEA to start the ball rolling. It may be that if she has recently been seen by everyone (ed psych, consultants etc) and you just want additional support at your local school, that it may be fairly straight forward.
One option you do have is to keep her back six months - you could keep her in the nursery class till next september when there should definately be extra support in place is she needs it . My only concern is that she isn't globally delayed and i guess she may need the extra stimulation of 'big school'.
I am having kittens about my little girls schooling, it's funny how even a 'little summountable problem' can worry you to death.
i hope you get something sorted out soon.
Nat.
#3
Posts: 29 | Threads: 6
Joined: Jul 2010
Reputation: 0

  • Established member
(10-21-2010, 06:33 AM)Nathard Wrote: i suspect all you can do at this stage is to write the letter to your LEA to start the ball rolling. It may be that if she has recently been seen by everyone (ed psych, consultants etc) and you just want additional support at your local school, that it may be fairly straight forward.
One option you do have is to keep her back six months - you could keep her in the nursery class till next september when there should definately be extra support in place is she needs it . My only concern is that she isn't globally delayed and i guess she may need the extra stimulation of 'big school'.
I am having kittens about my little girls schooling, it's funny how even a 'little summountable problem' can worry you to death.
i hope you get something sorted out soon.
Nat.


Thank you we have started it rolling today and yes we have seen everyone and our IEPs are up to date. The local headmistress says we will probably get a place based on where we live but Abi will have to be statemented by September.

Do you know if a child has to have 'global delays' to get statemented and does this mean delays of the same level in each area?
#4
Posts: 1,853 | Threads: 41
Joined: Oct 2009
Reputation: 13

  • Administrators
If she was to continue at the same school I don't see why they would take her 1to1 away as she still has the need and they can give that on school action/action plus without a statement. We started our sons statement in aughust and when I spoke to them yesterday they said the initial copy will be sent to us in the next 2 weeks, that will be the draft statement and if I'm happy I just bhave to name the school on it, they will send me a list of schools they recomend, he's already at a school in our neighbouring council distric (we live on the border) so they said if I name that school they'll write to them and ask them if they can meet his needs etc and it will be all finalised by xmas....so that's what...3/4months start to finnish?

Xx
#5
Posts: 29 | Threads: 6
Joined: Jul 2010
Reputation: 0

  • Established member
(10-21-2010, 01:24 PM)Lucy Wrote: If she was to continue at the same school I don't see why they would take her 1to1 away as she still has the need and they can give that on school action/action plus without a statement. We started our sons statement in aughust and when I spoke to them yesterday they said the initial copy will be sent to us in the next 2 weeks, that will be the draft statement and if I'm happy I just bhave to name the school on it, they will send me a list of schools they recomend, he's already at a school in our neighbouring council distric (we live on the border) so they said if I name that school they'll write to them and ask them if they can meet his needs etc and it will be all finalised by xmas....so that's what...3/4months start to finnish?

Xx

Lucy, huge thanks for letting me know that. 3 to 4 months is great hope our local authority is as helpful. The school say they only have funding on action plus for 15 hours, which is the time Abi is at nursery hence the needing statementing for school full time next September.

I am a bit worried about the child needing to have global delays (in first reply to my posting) - I hadn't heard about that until now. Abi does have a significant speech/understanding delay, gross motor skills delay and problems with proprioception affecting gross and fine motor. Her 1:1 does help with the above but is mostly there for her physical safety and also because Abi needs help with self care skills. She wears a large and bulky non-removable plaster cast around her body (like that for a broken leg) hence her problems with falling and physical vulnerability.

Well done with nearly getting there with the statementing that's brilliant.

thanks again for replying
Sue


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)