• VIP
hiya everyone
i would be so greatful for any advice
basically it all started when jack (3) was younger he never sat up untill 1 couldnt even sit unsupported the Health visitor wasnt bothered, said he would do it in his own time.
after being admitted into hospital at around 19months they were concerned he couldnt sit, they thought his spine was curved after many tests came back clear but the suggested servere autism as he could do anything
after numerous visits from Health visitor she said he was 8months delayed he finally walked at 2 but has very limited speech. i moved to a new area an pead was useless we were in there couple mins said hes fine

heres what i see as a possible problem

he has lack of speech most of which we can not understand

he hates changes in routine ie if when he goes into nursery he dont do the usual sticking he will freak out screaming and lay on floor

if there is somewhere busy he will panic and its back to floor again sometimes headbutting it too

he freaks out if adults go near him he only lets certain people near him

he can go from lovely to violent he hit his brother over head with cup otherday due to him picking a toy up off floor and because we went different bus stop he kept headbutting me in stomach

he has no idea of safety to point he will try and walk out into road, latest accident involved him getting a cotton bud and fell on it burst his eardrum Sad

he cant walk far, walks on toes and always complaing of pain in feet and falls over alot

he has strange habits of trying to eat paper and ive had to replace his pillows numerous times as he pulls them apart to eat the fluff inside

there are so many other things but my mind just goes blank thinking about it as im so stressed 2years to get told something wrong then its not then to dont know

• Administrators
(12-10-2009, 09:15 PM)xbeckyx Wrote: hiya everyone
i would be so greatful for any advice
basically it all started when jack (3) was younger he never sat up untill 1 couldnt even sit unsupported the Health visitor wasnt bothered, said he would do it in his own time.
after being admitted into hospital at around 19months they were concerned he couldnt sit, they thought his spine was curved after many tests came back clear but the suggested servere autism as he could do anything
after numerous visits from Health visitor she said he was 8months delayed he finally walked at 2 but has very limited speech. i moved to a new area an pead was useless we were in there couple mins said hes fine

heres what i see as a possible problem

he has lack of speech most of which we can not understand

he hates changes in routine ie if when he goes into nursery he dont do the usual sticking he will freak out screaming and lay on floor

if there is somewhere busy he will panic and its back to floor again sometimes headbutting it too

he freaks out if adults go near him he only lets certain people near him

he can go from lovely to violent he hit his brother over head with cup otherday due to him picking a toy up off floor and because we went different bus stop he kept headbutting me in stomach

he has no idea of safety to point he will try and walk out into road, latest accident involved him getting a cotton bud and fell on it burst his eardrum Sad

he cant walk far, walks on toes and always complaing of pain in feet and falls over alot

he has strange habits of trying to eat paper and ive had to replace his pillows numerous times as he pulls them apart to eat the fluff inside

there are so many other things but my mind just goes blank thinking about it as im so stressed 2years to get told something wrong then its not then to dont know
I think there is an issue without doubt and this needs investigating without any further delay.
Could your Gp not refer you to another pead?
I would stress this to your gp and ask and plead for another assesment as a second opinion of which you are entitled.
In the meantime may i suggest keeping a diary of all behaviours and where possible any photographs for example of damage caused.
I know there are a few mothers of children with autism on the forum and they can offer you some great advice.
This really needs some urgent attention.
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• VIP
thankyou daniel for a quick reply
this has been a struggle for a long time due to moving to different area the Health visitor's etc are all saying different, i phoned a new Health visitor today and turns out they dont even have record of last assesment so hopefully they will do one next week, i have explained that the pead was very rude to me and she said she will see about community pead if they think he needs it. thing is when Health visitor comes he will hide behind me an act like little angel then he kicks off after

• Registered
Hi Becky hun,

Please try niot to let this situation get you down - I know that is hard, but please try. Daniel has already given you good advice with regards noting down every incident. I fought for 4 and a half years to get someone to agree there was something wrong with my son - health visitors, doctors etc fobbed me off with being paranoid and neurotic. I was repeatedly told that my son was perfectly fine and because I was used to a hyperactive elder son, I just thought that there was an issue with our middle child. Even though as 4 he still could not speak, was totally un toilet trained, had no awareness of safety, was difficult and aggressive, was destructive etc etc etc.
We managed to get him into a 'mixed' nursery - special needs and average kiddies, it was they that helped us get someone to agree that our son needed some sort of help. We then got him statemented as a special needs child via the nursery - this also helped.

Have you thought to get the education dept to statement him and asses him, this again will show the professionals that your boy needs further help and understanding. I would have a word with the nursery staff and ask for them to support you in this.

Make a chart with these things written on: Before incident.......during incident............after incident.

The add what happened prior to incident happening, include who was there, what was happening in general ie watching tv-having dinner etc.
Then add what happened during the incident - include any form of retaliation from others or measures to calm the situation.
Finally, add how your son behaved following the incident, include thoughts, feelings etc of all involved where possible.

By doing this you are building up a mental picture for the professionals to look at.

We found that some of the behaviours settled to a more manageable level when our son found a way to express himself - we used Makaton sign language for that. Because he could join in conversations, he was less frustrated and therefore a little easier to handle. We also had happy, sad and angry cushions. Each cushion had a face depicting his feelings on it and he would pick those up to let those around him know how he felt.

I am not a medical person nor a health professional in any way, but ehat you describe does very much sound like asd behaviour. Keep pushing hun, ring the social services, aks for their help, get the nursery staff to support you, get the education people on your side and present your evidence back to the dr's. You will get there eventually.

As for him being good when the health visitor comes - that's quite normal, asd children don't particularly like social interaction and will stay closest to the person they feel 'safe' with in these situations.

Best wishes hun I hope this helps - wish I could offer further support on this.

• VIP
thankyou for making me feel so welcome on here and such great advice

today been quite a good day i took jack to see a male gp at our surgery, he was great so helpful.
watched jack walking an said he can see that jack walking on his toes then asked any other problems i started explaining and he said that he noticed that there was a concern there, as when he went to go near jack he freaked out and layed on floor whole time we were there jack hid in corner coat over his head. hes going to sort out bits and pieces to get a assessment done asap in his words ' i am very sure there is some for of autism although we need tests to confirm this'
[Image: buttonsandflowers111102.jpg]