• VIP
its not needed yet but i am thinking of the future if jaimee needs a downstairs toilet etc ?
my house i s private rented and i am not sure what would happen should it need adapting ?? i really dont understand it because as with all privat elandlords you run a risk of them selling up ? i dont want to move rom my house but i want to kno that i can settle here and make it nice xx
teagan mia 03/05/06Heart
ruby hannah 12/09/08 Heart
jaimee evanna 07/10/09 Heart
jaimee grade 4 ivh hemiplegia cp and global development delay
love my 3 girls all the world mommys perfect princesses xxxx

• Established member
I would speak to your landlord about this and explain your concerns.

• VIP
(10-15-2010, 10:02 AM)ella Wrote: its not needed yet but i am thinking of the future if jaimee needs a downstairs toilet etc ?
my house i s private rented and i am not sure what would happen should it need adapting ?? i really dont understand it because as with all privat elandlords you run a risk of them selling up ? i dont want to move rom my house but i want to kno that i can settle here and make it nice xx

its a tricky one
i personally dont like private renting
to be honest your better of getting your name on a for council housing list or a housing association
it would make you feel more secure and you can make some changes to house for your childs future
like you said they can easy sell up
why not get advice off social services about this there to help
and might be able to sort somthing out and get you further up list on medical needs

• VIP
As far as I'm aware, landlords can apply for a disabled facilities grant to pay for the adaptations so it won't cost them anything. I'm not sure whether you can make them do it though.
Heart Raising the awareness of encephalitis, one baby step at a time.....Heart

• Administrators
Generally when you apply for a DFG you need to normally agree to stay with the property for a period of at least 5 years which with a private landlord is usually very unlikely you would be granted such a long tenancy as you would then become a secure tenant with more rights and landlords are generally advised by agents to move tenants on every 3 years or so.
Of course there are exceptions and in some cases private landlords CAN agree but it is rare in all honesty.
When Euan was diagnosed we knew the property we were in would not be suitable long term nor stable and we ran the risk of moving when he became less stable and thats something we couldnt risk.
Imagine moving house when your child is in kidney failure or when they were having a transplant that wouldnt have been good.
The space also wasnt enough for machinery he had and will need over time and therefore we went onto the council housing register on medical needs and we were granted a council property it wasnt easy and relied on loop holes and law which luckily i knew and we were able to secure a property suitable for his needs.

In all honesty if the private rent is not suitable there is a strong chance for a similar council house need for yourself and therefore would you be prepared to apply for a council house?
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE