• Registered
I would say don't get disheartened if your son doesn't start signing. Part of it is that the act of having a visual sign for words is meant to help language development by reinforcing it all in their minds and giving it all order. I persevered but my son didn't really start signing until he was a lot older and already beginning to talk but he obviously knew and understood all the signs before this - just didnt have the motivation to see the point of communicating. It really helped him though & its amazing how much he must have been picking up when I thought it wasnt working. He often still signs now.

• Registered
Yes i have found a book and ive paid for it so hopefully will be able to get stuck in.
I was suprised when i searched on Google that the local councils also offer Makaton workshops so will be finding out more about these.
Has anyone done a workshop before?

• Registered
You all now have me looking around on the internet now

• Registered
Hi Maggie
The libraries can get you most of what you need/want to look at.

History.... Makaton was name after the people who 'invented' it, MArgaret, KAren and TONy.
The pilot group who used it were adults so 3 years old is not too old to start!
It is part of a language program and is easy to learn as long as you don't try to learn it all in a day...lol.
The point is that you sign key parts of your speech to give clues as to what you are going on about. ( The books will explain properly and the website is good).

Start with part 1 of the word list and do a few words at a time until you know them well ( like learning French). When you take it slowly it is easy, but it is tempting to try to do to much all at once and then get frustrated!

My son used Makaton as he could not speak, ( he lost the ability at 2), but at 12 he started to talk so we don't use it much now.

• Registered
Well i got the book.
Am i the only one who feels daft when you first try it?
My little one just looks at me like an Alien.
Hope it starts to work as it seems like it has the possibility.
I would say its quite easy to pick up little pieces just remembering things can be difficult.