• Registered
Hello,
Just come across this forum and im hoping somebody can help me out.
Im after some informaion about something called Makaton sign language.
I've heard a little about it and i'd like to try it with my 3 year old but i was wondering if he was too old for this,have i left it too late?
Has anybody had any experience of this or can you refer me to any useful websites about this?

Can anyone share their experience with baby sign language and does it actually work?

Thank you in advance.

• Administrators
Hi Sue welcome to the forum!

I have not personally had any experience with makaton, however, It has been discussed at a support group I go to. From what I can gather it is a simplified form of sign language that (i think) is used to try and encourage a child to speak or atleast give them some form of communication.

It can be used for children and adults and (again from what I gather speaking to people) is pretty simple for the child and you to pick up.

There is a website called the makaton charity, the link is http://www.makaton.org/ . From reading through it does say that even though its a simple concept you still have to undergo training to get the best from it.

To gain access to training they advise you either speak to the healthcare professional (if any) who recomended you teach your child makaton or you can contact them and they will pass your details on to someone who trains in your area! It mensions a child learning it after they have started school so I doubt your son is too old. Its all on the link.

Please let us know how you get on and I will ask again for more detailed information when I go to my group again on Friday!

Lucy xx

• VIP
Hi Sue Smile

Makaton is excellent, easy to use and your son is not too old, my son is 5 1/2 and has been using it for a few months now ( in fact he has just started to give one sign back at me, an amazing feeling!). It works on the principle of ordinary hand signals we use anyway in life, albeit exaggerated. Some of them or a bit abstact though! It is a really good way of communicating and can open up a whole new world to a child that has communication difficulties, and helps re-enforce simple words.

You can also buy the books cheaply on Amazon.

Hope this helps Smile

• Registered
(10-13-2009, 02:19 PM)MaggieMay Wrote: Hi Sue Smile

Makaton is excellent, easy to use and your son is not too old, my son is 5 1/2 and has been using it for a few months now ( in fact he has just started to give one sign back at me, an amazing feeling!). It works on the principle of ordinary hand signals we use anyway in life, albeit exaggerated. Some of them or a bit abstact though! It is a really good way of communicating and can open up a whole new world to a child that has communication difficulties, and helps re-enforce simple words.

You can also buy the books cheaply on Amazon.

Hope this helps Smile

That has really encouraged me to give it a try.
I can imagine it was a very touching moment to really see your efforts rewarded like that.
Can you suggest any particular books to buy that you have found to work for you?

• VIP
Hi Maggie Smile

I've been using 'My First Signs' by Annie Kubler, you can get it for under a fiver on Amazon. There are a few more in the range, but this is a good one to start with as it's a decent sized board book with good clear colourful pictures.

Hope this helps, Maggie x