• VIP
we've spent ages now looking for the correct car for us and the only ones that are at all suitable are either the Ford Galaxy or Ford S-Max, we need to be able to put down the back row of seats to get in his squiggles chair and standing fram to take to school and these are the only two big enough. if we'd have ordered last week we'd have been fine and could have got the s-max for £495 but the new prices that came out this week have been increased by a huge amount!!
the best we can do now is get the galaxy for £1400, so im going to apply for a grant from motability. im aware we need to pay the first £200 which is fine but was wondering as our original budget was around the £500 mark whether anyone knows if it is ok to upgrade. the Titanium version of the galaxy is £1750 and it has things like parking sensors etc which as i will be a new driver (test 1st Nov) will really really help me. so can we pay the additional £350 on top of the £200 and get the better car or if i suggest this to motability will they then say i need to pay the £550 towards what they give us for the basic version.

i hope that makes sense??
carrie x

• Registered
As far as I know, you can. We applied for a grant recently and had an amount awarded to us. We then had the choice of several vehicles with the chance to upgrade and add more money ourselves (above the basic £200) if we wanted something different.

You could always give them a call, they seemed quite friendly when I spoke to them.

Good luck Smile
Blush Loving life and doing my best in a crazy house with 5 littl'uns and big'uns ... youngest son has Spinal Muscular Atrophy

• Registered
We too got a grant from motability. It was in 2 parts...one for the car, which was the Galaxy and then secondly for an orbit chair. All in all they awarded us nearly £5000 - which was wonderful. I too put alittle extra and got the ghia....it takes ages, so get your application in asap

• VIP
thanks ladies, thats really helpful. will ring them today and get it started. doesnt matter how long it takes as jacobs payments don't start til 30th Dec anyway :-)
carrie x

• Registered
(10-04-2010, 07:40 PM)wee_daisy Wrote: We too got a grant from motability. It was in 2 parts...one for the car, which was the Galaxy and then secondly for an orbit chair. All in all they awarded us nearly £5000 - which was wonderful. I too put alittle extra and got the ghia....it takes ages, so get your application in asap

Hi we have found the car for our Harry and his brothers and sisters, a galaxy also, we are regestered with motability but was your grant from them for the down payment or from somewhere else, if so could you tell me who please, this may save m,e getting a bankloan out as we have no car now and its a struggle ty for your time