• Registered
Help what can we do about this!

My grandad has alzeimers and has it really bad so my mum has stopped working to help care for him to give my gran some time alone and also be full time help with him.

She applyied for carers allowance but must have made a mistake with the 1st digit of the sort code.

Carers allowance paid 600 backdated money into some one elses account even though it must have been a totally different name and we called several times saying where is this money and they just kept saying they have paid it and told us to call the post office. Were fuming as its not just the 600 but a further 300 to.

Careers allowance are saying now the person the money went to have now spent it so we are not getting that money, I think this is totally unfair any ideas.
Mummy to a very special little girl with Septo optic dysplasia, Diabetes Insipidus, Adrenal supressant and Infantile spasms.

• Administrators
when exactly did you realise the mistake and inform them? and how far appart was the further £300 paid in?

xx

• Registered
(09-28-2010, 07:13 PM)Lucy Wrote: when exactly did you realise the mistake and inform them? and how far appart was the further £300 paid in?

xx

We kept calling and asking them but we or them hadnt realised the mistake for ages. 1 or 2 weeks difference i think there was. Its a joke
Mummy to a very special little girl with Septo optic dysplasia, Diabetes Insipidus, Adrenal supressant and Infantile spasms.

• Registered
Thankfully you CAN get it sorted but it will take a couple of weeks minimum, in the mean time she can get emergency payments from the local DWP office.
The mistakes in account details are enough to invoke BACS refunds, DWP need to request these and I am guessing that the people you have spoken to are either unaware of banking protection or avoiding the paperwork it will entail.
You may want to get CAB or another advice agency involved depending on where you live to act for you as it can be stressful and draining having to attend DWP offices with proofs that payments were not recieved, making sworn statements and listening to their silly excuses.
Good luck and dont give in.... and dont sign anything unless you are absolutely sure of what it says!!

• Administrators
Normally when money is paid into an incorrect account, what would happen is the original claim forms would be looked at to see what details were on there.
If it was a customer error then the DWP do not have to make another payment .
If it was DWP error then they normally would make another payment.
In both cases they would normally liaise with the bank to have the money recovered from the holder of the account who received the money in error, because whichever way it is looked at, it's money that the account holder is not entitled to keep and could be breaking the law by keeping the money.

However, as the incorrect account details were listed on the claim form this may complicate matters somewhat.
They cannot delete your account details from his claim entirely, because they are bound by law to keep details of a claimant's case, including where payments were made to, for a certain time period even after the claim is closed.
What they should have done was remove the incorrect details as the chosen account, after receiving this request in writing.

Im looking into the legal aspect of the money for the first payment as the money may have been sent to the BACS run prior to you contacting them ,however my other concern is they made a later payment after recieving the correct information.

This is negligent and not an error on your behalf and therefore they should pay this one straight away.

How far up the food chain have you gone in regards to complaining about this?

I would ask them to consider reissuing the payment as a hardship payment and if they refuse then ask for a copy of there complaints procedure and put a letter in writing.

I also URGE you to get a subject access request done as this will detail all the telephone calls made which will prove you contacted them with requests to change the bank details

A TYPICAL SUBJECT ACCESS REQUEST SHOULD READ:

Dear Sir or Madam,

Please would you supply me with a complete list of personal data you hold on me. You should be aware that personal data can be held in written information, e-mails, electronic documents, photographs, CCTV images, telephone conversations and include recorded opinions about, or intentions regarding myself.

Additionally, where there has been any event in the account history over this period which has required any manual intervention by any member of your staff or any other person, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention in relation to my account.

If you are unable to supply the information in relation to manual intervention because there has been no such manual intervention, then please be kind enough to confirm this in your response to this request.

This is my request to access ALL the data held by you.
You should be fully aware of the statutory obligations under the Data Protection Act 1998 and that any failure to comply with this request could result in a contravention of the said act.

You have 40 Days in which to comply.

Yours sincerely
Joe Bloggs

Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE