• Registered
Hi, Im not a regular poster but I am a regular reader! Just wondered if anyone could help me with this seems as our social worker has gone awol?!! ha!

Anyway we live in a 3 bed council house, WE have 2 boys and 1 girl, Ethan 9, Harry 4, and Grace 2. Harry has downs syndrome and complex heart probs (heart wise he's doing really well at the mo, he had corrective surgery in August but is still under review and will probably need future ops)

Ethan and Harry share a room - (Harry and Grace did share a room but Grace isnt the best sleeper in the world and used to wake him up!) Now Harry is in to everything and I feel abit sorry for my eldest boy, like he gets pushed out, all his toys/games etc have to be away and he never really gets any time to himself, his friends cant come in to play cos theres not alot of space up there to play etc and to be honest I think he'd rather be at his nans than here - he goes every wkend - probably just for some peace!

I was just wondering if anybody knows whether this will always be the case or whether we might be able to get a move in the future? (we would love to buy our own 4bed place and have looked into it but with the way things are with banks/mortgages nowadays its not likely to happen anytime soon. I mean we can cope with how things are but its not great and makes me feel upset and guilty for my eldest son.

Any advice would be great, Thanks!

• Registered
Hi,
there is a grant you can apply for that you can use to extend the home you are living in now, you apply through the local council i'm not sure what it is called but i am sure Daniel will pop up shortly and give you all the details you will need Big Grin
xxx

• Administrators
Dfg (disabled facilities grant) is for extending the home on grounds of disability but they're really tough to access, even wheelchair users in need of a downstairs bedroom/wetrrom struggle to get grants approved due to lack of funding so I think you'd struggle down that angle.

Is there any reason for harry to need his own space? Ie behavioural reasons or medical equipment etc? If so...when your eldest turns 10 he cannot techneically (in council terms) share with his younger sister (if it was boys its 16) so if harry needed his own room for any medical grounds then when ethans 10 you could apply for a move to a 4bedroom property as both boys and your daughter would need separate rooms.

Failing that have you looked at the possibility of an exchange? 4beds are a bit of a struggle but as your in a 3bed you might find someone somewhere could be willing to swap with you....

Xx

• Registered
(09-27-2010, 01:01 PM)Lucy Wrote: Dfg (disabled facilities grant) is for extending the home on grounds of disability but they're really tough to access, even wheelchair users in need of a downstairs bedroom/wetrrom struggle to get grants approved due to lack of funding so I think you'd struggle down that angle.

Is there any reason for harry to need his own space? Ie behavioural reasons or medical equipment etc? If so...when your eldest turns 10 he cannot techneically (in council terms) share with his younger sister (if it was boys its 16) so if harry needed his own room for any medical grounds then when ethans 10 you could apply for a move to a 4bedroom property as both boys and your daughter would need separate rooms.

Failing that have you looked at the possibility of an exchange? 4beds are a bit of a struggle but as your in a 3bed you might find someone somewhere could be willing to swap with you....

Xx
Hi I was in a 2 bedroom council house with 2 boys sharing a room i put in for a bigger house as my son has adhd. I also have a daughter. i got my consultant to give me a letter and went to my doctor armed with every reason why it was needed for a move.All these proved vital for securing a bigger house and it gave me extra medical points. which entitled me to a 4 bed as my son needed a room of his own due to the adhd. Just stay positive im sure all will work out for you and your Children.

• VIP
good luck you could only ask if you could apply for a 4 bed house.
We have a 3 bed house and two boys, we was giving a 3 bed house as they said that Ben needed his own space and it wasn't fair on my other son to share.