• Moderators
from what you have said Lucy i would say that he is typically autistic (thats what they used to call it dont know the name for it now) the lining up of cars - is one i remember my friends son doing (he autistic too) and matt would deliberately walk through them and send him nuts.
the hitting himself again is autistic because they dont feel pain the same as we do matt still does it when he really wound up and biting fingers till they leave marks is one to keep an eye out for as well.

the food thing again is the same, but that could also be his age it is a matter of putting something different on a separate plate near him before his meal to peak his interest,
unfortunatly some things will be hard because if it becomes a routine (perhaps dan normally gets out of car first and u just didnt notice) and you then change it without explaining it first can cause aggression towards you or himself so best thing is to try and say "mummy is getting out first today and daddy will do it tomorrow ok?" or words that he will understand (cant remember too much when matt was very young lol)

they line things up or put ornaments or pictures in same place as it is a security thing for them they like things being the same, same with the food but as long as he is getting enough food and is the right weight that is something you can sort out at a later date its not important he isnt eating nothing but chocolate buttons or crisps like some Children

i hope this isnt too much i dont tend to type the same as my brain thinks i spend half time deleting stuff because it doesnt come out right, just remember that autistic Children can be the most loving happy Children once they have got control of the parents lol and that the bad times are overshadowed by the good times
corinne
There comes a point in your life when you realize:Who matters,Who never did,Who won't anymore...And who always will..
So, don't worry about people from your past,there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

• Administrators
yes hes under assessment, hes also having theraputic group assessments but the other child didnt turn up monday so we didnt get to see him with other children then. He wouldnt join in songtime though and when his dad (dan) touched his face to get him to join in he hit him and then started tantrumin and trying to pull out boxes of toys to throw on the floor. dan had to take him outside to calm down. Its so frustrating though, they write everything down but dont give you any indication as to what they think! grrrr
xx

• Administrators
he is very loving, and im not sure the hitting is because he doesnt feel pain, because at times he only has to catch his finger on something and its a big drama for ages afterwords. its more like he cant control his aggression and because he was strapped down and couldnt get at anything to take it out on....he turned on himself. He doesnt like anyone getting out of the car unless he is coming with him, he gets very panic stricken very easily over the oddest things. He can be in the car seat and thinking he is going to fall....or in the pushchair. Changing tables are a nightmare!!!

I know deep down hes not like other Children but you know when you need someone else to say it in order for you to accept it....

xx

• Moderators
(12-02-2009, 08:04 PM)Lucy Wrote: he is very loving, and im not sure the hitting is because he doesnt feel pain, because at times he only has to catch his finger on something and its a big drama for ages afterwords. its more like he cant control his aggression and because he was strapped down and couldnt get at anything to take it out on....he turned on himself. He doesnt like anyone getting out of the car unless he is coming with him, he gets very panic stricken very easily over the oddest things. He can be in the car seat and thinking he is going to fall....or in the pushchair. Changing tables are a nightmare!!!

I know deep down hes not like other Children but you know when you need someone else to say it in order for you to accept it....
xx

told you i dont type properly sometimes,
when i said they feel pain differently its a bit strange, like u say bang his finger and you would think he had broken it yet if he in control of causing the pain, u think it would hurt him when he hits you? but its like he can block the pain out, maybe because he is concentrating on his aggression he cant feel it.
one thing though i have always found trying to work out why autistic Children do things can twist your brain more than equalatral triangles lol
There comes a point in your life when you realize:Who matters,Who never did,Who won't anymore...And who always will..
So, don't worry about people from your past,there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

• Administrators
yes it sure can, you start to over evaluate!!! i know i do....

xx