• VIP
(12-19-2010, 06:37 PM)corinne Wrote: while there may be some children who are mislabelled due to upbringing it is nowhere near the amount they seem to state it is. Autism especially is very hard to get a diagnosis of even when they display a great deal of the behaviours. you are commenting on your nephew and to be honest diagnosing was done with little delving into backgrounds and looking any deeper which they now do more of, i know of a lad myself but again he is 16. to say that good parents dont have children with adhd or autism or dyslexia (i have a friend who is in her 30's who has it and so has her son and she was bought up very well) is ridiculous the same way that there are children who have bad parents who grow up to be fine. i grew up in a time where if you were from a "broken" home it was thought u would never form a good relationship and would get into trouble and all sorts of bad things,and my husbands dad died when he was 5 so he was effectively raised by a single parent we have been married for nearly 20 years and my brother for 13yrs. it all goes to show that you cannot compartmentalise any type of family and the way children will be based on that.

I completely agree, whilst some children are misdiagnosed or stuffed with drugs for no reason or for the wrong reason it doesn't mean that bad parenting is to blame for this nor does it mean that bad teachers are to blame. A number of factors go into a child and its development and people can come from amazing families and be drug addicts and murderers etc just as people who come from broken families can go on to be amazingly successful. I think that the wealth of a family is purely coincidental and the real factors are whether the child is in a loving nurturing home that treats it well and doesn't judge or abuse it.
Will I EVER stop having to fight for my son to have what he NEEDS!? Huh