• VIP
As some of you know we were offered housing in May of this year but the OT etc turned it down because it was unsuitable in JULY. My hubby phones them once a week to see if there's any housing but he always gets the same answer, that there's NO 4 bedroomed housing!!

Is there anything that we can do??

HeartHeart Stacy HeartHeart
Mother to Terry 10 MLD + ADHD, Nicole 9 Cri-du-chat Syndrome ADHD Asthma GDD Coarctation, Jessica 4 Cri-Du-Chat Syndrome GDD Reflux

• Registered
You can request they ask neighbouring councils and housing associations for a suitable house, it is a facility that is used quite often in city councils and very rural ones.... Shelter can advise on the full procedure but it is 3 or 4 steps where you ask for a timescale on being rehoused within their area, then dispute how reasonable it is to wait so long and extend your areas of choice.
The council also has the ability to rehouse you to a private tenancy and pay the rent leaving you with a small payment towards it to meet until a suitable social one becomes available but they really hate being told about that Wink

• VIP
Hi, i only just realised someone replied to this post, daft I know.

The housing executive told us right from the start it could take 6 weeks to 6 years to get us accommodation (its been around 18 months so far), although they hadn't got any information from doctors etc at that point, but they did know about it from us. I put on the form that they could contact relevant housing associations right from the start but made a point by saying i would NEVER go into private rent, i know this may be the only option for a quick move but I don't want the stress of it, a cousin of my husbands has been told that her house is being put up for sale because he's going out of business because of the down turn, I don't want that to happen to us, I want the next move we make to be the last, (I've moved 10 times in the last 10 years).

We have 2 areas down but they have told us about a house available out of these areas (over the phone) but as it was in an unsuitable area for young children we decided against it.
Mother to Terry 10 MLD + ADHD, Nicole 9 Cri-du-chat Syndrome ADHD Asthma GDD Coarctation, Jessica 4 Cri-Du-Chat Syndrome GDD Reflux

• VIP
Hi

We were on the list for a 4 bed adapted property, we had a team around the child (tac) meeting in Aug and we were advised that as 4 bed properties we very few and far between and the best way forward was a 3 bed house with downstairs bedroom, after a lot of thought we decided this would be the best way forward as i cant sleep on the couch much longer we are now moving next week to a 3 bed house with downstairs bedroom bathroom for joe,we will be at the top of the stairs and joe at the bottom of them, we are also going with the keyworker to look at cctv or monitors of some kind so we would know when joe was out of bed,

Vicky
Mum of 4, Christopher 15 Joe 13 Kate 12 Rosie 3
Christopher type 1 diabetes Joe Rare Chromosone Abnormality associated with Microcephaley Global Development Delay Dysmorphism

• VIP
we could do that where we are now, but its just not an option as i have 2 children with special needs, so we would be running up and down the stairs all night long.

We did ask for it to be our sons room but they won't give a grant for that as its not for my girls.

But my OT's boss has said that long term we would be better off with a 4 bedroomed bungalow, which there is NONE. So i don't know what to do.