• Administrators
(12-05-2009, 11:30 PM)keelyjrs Wrote: Hi do you not have a special needs service or DIAL near you that could help. We go to SNAP and they have advised us not to tackle it on our own and to get their advisor to help us fill it out at the office.

I am on DLA due to a muscular condition so I have done one before but honestly I wouldn't know where to start with Thomas's one. We don't know whether to wait til we get a diagnosis or try it now. It is such a horrible form!
Hello Keely,
Are you likely to get a diagnosis within the next two-three months?
The reason i ask is that if you start the application online you can just fill in your name and save the application and aslong as you complete it within 2 months and finalise the application you will get backdated to the date you started it....:cmas_emoticon066:

Might be worth considering and do remember that Disability living allowance(DLA) is based on care needs and not on a diagnosis of a condition so providing your child has additonal care needs greater than that of a as the goverment would call it "Normal" child then i would make an application.
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• VIP
That's very true, it shouldn'tmake a difference if he has a diagnosis or not really should it? He needs such an awful lot of help with his various sensitivities and funny little quirks! I might get onto it sooner rather than later, Gawd knows we could do witht he extra money for him! Especially as we are starting him on ABA therapy this week!
Keely x

• Administrators
Its all too do with the additional care needs.
So simply draw up a list of all the additonal care needs and see where it goes.
I always suggest keeping a diary for a few days to a week of everything you have done that you wouldnt do for a child without these extra needs.
But in the meantime either phone up for the form today and it will be backdated to today or do it online and keep it open and complete within the 2 month time frame.
What would you say were the additional needs?
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• VIP
see thats it, when you ask me that question, its like I go blank and my brain shuts down lol. There's so many things we do that have become normal to us we forget that other people see it as extra hard work, and thatthey don't need to do it with their Children.

Everything takes such a long time as he has to count until he is calm, he has to touch and smell things, to suss them out, then he'll have to count again. He has so many anxieties, he needs lots of reassurance and using his pictures too. He has to do stuff in certain orders or he flies into a rage and we have to start from the beginning again. It's so hard to actually put into words our every day stuff, like I say it as just become "what we do"!!

He has lots of care at night as he barely sleeps, lots of care needed at meal times as he barely eats!! His hyperactivity is beyond a joke so it is constant go go go.
Keely x

• Administrators
Very true, i just see euan as normal to us and as i don't have another 2 year old to compare against i dont know whats normal and whats not!! we had to look it up lol

xx