• VIP
Hi, my son has fragile x and about 2 weeks before the summer hols he was suspended again for the 2nd time for his behaviour (even tho' another child who is considerably worse behaved and has no disability is still there) we decided not to send him back as they basically said they didn't want him anymore due to his meltdowns. Now in our area all the special schools are full apart from the private one's, which we've been told there is absoultly no chance due to government cut backs of getting him a place there. All we've been offered if they can get the right people and place to do it and of course if they can get the money is someone to take him 1-1 for two and a half days for the next year. Does anyone know if this is all there is for him or if there is something else that would be suitable that they are not saying (not sure who to believe anymore as we have had to fight for everything for him!). I would be grateful if anybody knows anything. x
I have 4 lovely children Caleb and Bay who have fragile x
Trinity and Lucas who don't Heart

• Moderators
hi Nicky
you dont say how old your son is but i know when looking into further ed for matt we were told that he is entitled by law to an education the same as any other child his age and i would have thought that was the same for school age children. if there are no special needs school places in area then it is the responsibility of the LEA to find somewhere either by going private or looking out of area. how is he supposed to keep up with his peers by only being part time and if the school is prepared to have him even part time then how can they say they wont have him full time? if its a matter of funding for a full time 1:1 they cant use that as an excuse not to have him full time as that would still be cheaper for them than either private or out of area (LEA's dont like money going out of area to other LEA's) special needs schools
There comes a point in your life when you realize:Who matters,Who never did,Who won't anymore...And who always will..
So, don't worry about people from your past,there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

• VIP
Hi, corinne, he's 10 and has got funding for 1-1 for all day everyday when he was in school, they just don't want to have him in school anymore. Sorry when I say they've offered him1-1 for 2 1/2 days the LEA was going to have to find another school or somewhere willing to have him while he was getting this support, so we are left not knowing if and when anything going to happen, he has got a statement and i was under the impression that it was law obiding so the had to keep to it maybe i'm wrong i don't know. thanks x

• Moderators
if he has a statement saying he needs full time 1:1 education that is what they have to provide. who has told you that the special schools are full?
offering 2 1/2 days sounds strange if its a main stream school as how is your son supposed to settle in and mix with peers if he only there half the week? if it was he couldnt cope with full time education and it was agreed amongst everyone including yourself then that would be a different matter, if its because the LEA cant find a school to take him full time then they need to look further afield. if he cant be in school are they providing a home tutor to help him keep up with his schoolwork?
soz for the questions, matt was in special school from 3 and know some things are different as he doesnt follow the national curriculum even now
There comes a point in your life when you realize:Who matters,Who never did,Who won't anymore...And who always will..
So, don't worry about people from your past,there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

• VIP
He was in a mainstream but we have agreed with everybody involved that he needs a special school now because his behaviour got worse, that's now the problem because they are all full they can't find anywhere for him to go. They havn't given him any homework or a tutor basically he's had nothing since the suspensions. I really want him back in school because he does'nt want to do anything but watch tv and computer games so he's missing out so much on his education, what makes me so mad he had just started to play with the children and write etc it's took 5yrs to do that grrr. x