• VIP
Well we had the meeting yesterday, our Inclusion Support Worker asked outright if they were coping with Chloe and if she could increase her sessions and they said yes! So she will now attend for 4 full sessions plus lunch clubs. We may have made a mistake but only time will tell ....

Thanks for all your input Blush

xx
Mum to 3 gorgeous girls Bethany (12), Amyrose (7) and Chloe (4). Chloe has Septo-Optic Displaysia, Bilateral Schizencephaly, Microcephaly, Lissencephaly, Spina Bifida Occulta, Global Developmetal Delay and Epilepsy. But has a smile that can light up the grumpiest persons day!

• VIP
(09-09-2010, 09:17 AM)adoptivemummy Wrote: Hi Guys

Well two days into the new term and already I am fed up with school!

We chose to keep our daughter in pre-school until next September when she will be 4 1/2 and will go to a special needs school, she already has her statement etc to confirm this. However I am starting to question my choice - pre-school are making us feel like they are doing us a favour by having her 3 afternoons a week, but even that isn't a full session we take her in 1/2 an hour after other Children go in so she gets 2 hours. She is now funded so if she were 'normal' she would get 15 hours a week in nursery but we are getting 6 and being made to feel like that's asking a bit much.

I'm not really sure what to do, I don't want to mess people about. I think its too early to send her to the special school and there is another nursery in our area - but will they be the same??

Arrggghhh.

xx
My little boy went to a special needs nursey for 6 months just in the afternoons. He started full time at the same school two weeks ago and he loves going.

• VIP
All you can do is what seems right at the time. I hope that keeping her at the mainstream works for you.

Our little girl is statemented for nursery too. We had decided that mainstream wasn't the way for her - we'd tried it when she was younger and it hadn't worked, and she just didn't get anything out of it at all. We then looked at the all inclusive 'special needs school' that the borough offered and the nursery did seem far too grown up and school like for our just three year old daughter. In the end we managed to keep eleanor at a conductive education nursery that she'd been attending privately for some time.

I guess for us it came down to where we think our daughter would get the most out of. For us mainstream felt like nothing better than baby sitting and like you've said the nursery el went to as a tot seemed really non-plused about having her there. As a baby i was all for 'inclusion' in a main stream setting, but if your child is struggling to benefit from it i would seriously question the point of sticking for the sake of it. All i would say is that there are often more than two options available and if you feel that your child would be better in a sn provision, but that the one on offer isn't right for your child do look into alternatives as there maybe somewhere out there that is perfect for your little one.
where in the world do you live By the way?

• Registered
(09-09-2010, 09:17 AM)adoptivemummy Wrote: Hi Guys

Well two days into the new term and already I am fed up with school!

We chose to keep our daughter in pre-school until next September when she will be 4 1/2 and will go to a special needs school, she already has her statement etc to confirm this. However I am starting to question my choice - pre-school are making us feel like they are doing us a favour by having her 3 afternoons a week, but even that isn't a full session we take her in 1/2 an hour after other Children go in so she gets 2 hours. She is now funded so if she were 'normal' she would get 15 hours a week in nursery but we are getting 6 and being made to feel like that's asking a bit much.

I'm not really sure what to do, I don't want to mess people about. I think its too early to send her to the special school and there is another nursery in our area - but will they be the same??

Arrggghhh.

xx

Snap! This has happend to us too. My son who is 2 and 1/2 has been awarded 10 hours funding but the nursery/preschool are only taking him for 6 hours "to see how things go". I already get the feeling they're not that keen on having him and this isn't helping. I don't understand why they can't take full use of the hours allocated to him. It's not fair. I hope you get your situation sorted out in your favour. I think they will all be different. I know another nursery that would love to have my son but it's not a convenient place to take him! arrghh

• VIP
Well , having thought all my pre-school issues were resolved I want to scream today! It's Chloe's first week doing extra hours, she attended all day on Wednesday and was due to attend all day today (still not the 15 hours a week she is entitled to, be we're getting there!), but this morning as we were leaving the house pre-school rang to say that due to staff sickness they would be unable to have her in today. Arrrrgggghhhh! No other parents will have been told there Children can't go in today.

So, what do I do about getting her into the special school now??

xx
Mum to 3 gorgeous girls Bethany (12), Amyrose (7) and Chloe (4). Chloe has Septo-Optic Displaysia, Bilateral Schizencephaly, Microcephaly, Lissencephaly, Spina Bifida Occulta, Global Developmetal Delay and Epilepsy. But has a smile that can light up the grumpiest persons day!