• VIP
Hi Guys

Well two days into the new term and already I am fed up with school!

We chose to keep our daughter in pre-school until next September when she will be 4 1/2 and will go to a special needs school, she already has her statement etc to confirm this. However I am starting to question my choice - pre-school are making us feel like they are doing us a favour by having her 3 afternoons a week, but even that isn't a full session we take her in 1/2 an hour after other Children go in so she gets 2 hours. She is now funded so if she were 'normal' she would get 15 hours a week in nursery but we are getting 6 and being made to feel like that's asking a bit much.

I'm not really sure what to do, I don't want to mess people about. I think its too early to send her to the special school and there is another nursery in our area - but will they be the same??

Arrggghhh.

xx
Mum to 3 gorgeous girls Bethany (12), Amyrose (7) and Chloe (4). Chloe has Septo-Optic Displaysia, Bilateral Schizencephaly, Microcephaly, Lissencephaly, Spina Bifida Occulta, Global Developmetal Delay and Epilepsy. But has a smile that can light up the grumpiest persons day!

• VIP
my little boy is about the same age...he was 3 in April....and he has been going to his sn school in their nursery class since January, and he is coping really really well. They incorporate all of his physio, swimming, sensory based learning, nursing needs, medical needs etc into his curriculum. He only goes from 9am till 12, but they must do a lot, cos he is always tired when he gets home.
It is entirely your choice hun, but you shouldn't be made to feel like this. My instict would be to try the sn school. Ours was very welcoming, even before Zak started, and they let us join in with the occasional session so he could get used to it, and also so the staff could learn about his specific needs. Maybe you could see if they would let you take her in once a week (with you) to see how you get on?
Mags, Mum to Ash (12) and Zak (4). Zak has very severe spastic quad CP, Lennox Gastaut Syndrome, Reg blind, Gastrostomy fed, profound GDD, Epilepsy and bloomin' cute.

• VIP
Hi

I was thinking the same as zaksmum regarding trying the sch once a week like a morning or afternoon
really dont know why you are made to feel like this have you spoken with the teacher?

Vicky
Mum of 4, Christopher 15 Joe 13 Kate 12 Rosie 3
Christopher type 1 diabetes Joe Rare Chromosone Abnormality associated with Microcephaley Global Development Delay Dysmorphism

• VIP
(09-09-2010, 09:25 AM)zaksmum Wrote: my little boy is about the same age...he was 3 in April....and he has been going to his sn school in their nursery class since January, and he is coping really really well. They incorporate all of his physio, swimming, sensory based learning, nursing needs, medical needs etc into his curriculum. He only goes from 9am till 12, but they must do a lot, cos he is always tired when he gets home.
It is entirely your choice hun, but you shouldn't be made to feel like this. My instict would be to try the sn school. Ours was very welcoming, even before Zak started, and they let us join in with the occasional session so he could get used to it, and also so the staff could learn about his specific needs. Maybe you could see if they would let you take her in once a week (with you) to see how you get on?

Chloe was 3 in April too, a good friend of ours works in the office at the sn school so I might have a chat with her tonight and maybe arrange a visit or something. With my eldest daughter school choice seemed such an easy thing, totally took that for granted lol.
Mum to 3 gorgeous girls Bethany (12), Amyrose (7) and Chloe (4). Chloe has Septo-Optic Displaysia, Bilateral Schizencephaly, Microcephaly, Lissencephaly, Spina Bifida Occulta, Global Developmetal Delay and Epilepsy. But has a smile that can light up the grumpiest persons day!

• VIP
(09-09-2010, 09:36 AM)vic Wrote: Hi

I was thinking the same as zaksmum regarding trying the sch once a week like a morning or afternoon
really dont know why you are made to feel like this have you spoken with the teacher?

Vicky

I think its the manager of the pre-school that begrduges having Chloe there taking up a staff member one-to-one to be honest Sad