Posts: 2 | Threads: 0
Joined: Nov 2018
Reputation: 0

  • Registered
Hi I live in a small two beaded house and there are five off is my step daughter who got her own room as 15 and I got a one year old and a five year old with autism and diabetes who sleep with me in my room one year old in cot bed but five year old in my bed but he not getting enough sleep because lows and high sugers is sensory issues and one year old crying partner sleeps down stairs on sofa and council say we not over crowded my partner has mental heath issues to we all on top off each other council moved us up list but said long time and told us go private we can not afford that I’m at end off my tether any advise please
If two people of the opposite sex have to sleep in the same room the accommodation will be overcrowded unless the two people are:

a married or cohabiting couple, or
at least one occupant is under ten years old.
The number of people of the same sex (unless they are a same-sex couple) who can sleep in one room is restricted by the size of the room.

Rooms that are counted include living rooms, bedrooms and large kitchens. For the space and floor area calculations:

children under one year old are ignored
children under ten years old and over one count as a half
rooms under 50 square feet are ignored.
As a general rule:

1 room = 2 people
2 rooms = 3 people
3 rooms = 5 people
4 rooms = 7.5 people
5 or more rooms = 2 people per room.
But the floor area of a room also determines how many people can sleep in it:

floor area 110 sq feet (10.2 sq metres approx) = 2 people
floor area 90 - 109 sq ft (8.4 - 10.2 sq m approx) = 1.5 people
floor area 70 - 89 sq ft (6.5 - 8.4 sq m approx) = 1 person
floor area 50 - 69 sq ft (4.6 - 6.5 sq m approx) = 0.5 people.

So basically the option availible to you would be to make a medical application on medical grounds.

The medical grounds could maybe be that you feel your son with autism needs his own room as your other children could be at risk with him if they were to share.
A medical needs assesment would need to be undertaken and you could gain support from doctors and social services.

Assuming you were awarded medical needs and the panel assumed the above this would mean one of your bedrooms could be discounted which would leave you with a 2 bedroom property for 4 people.

Because your one child is 10 years old and is a boy and your youngest in a girl they cannot be expected to share as housing law would class this as overcrowding and therefore you would be eligible for a 4 bedroom property.

In some cases it is more difficult for example if it was 3 boys and no girls were involved overcrowding would not be an issue but in your circumstance Becky you would be overcrowded assuming you can get the medical needs assesment.
A medical needs assesment would need to be completed and can be a timely process.
You would need to contact your local council for the relevant forms to complete and send to them.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)