• VIP
I know, I know, I'm sorry! But I have to start planning and buying now, I can't deal with shopping in the Christmas rush with a wheelchair in tow!
Basically I'm just looking for peoples knowledge and experience of what toys they've found are good? I need something suitable for a 6 year old, potentially slightly behind in mental age but not much, but unable to express his feelings properly. He can't walk, talk or sit unaided, but he can see and hear fine. He can pick things up that aren't too bulky or heavy, but he does tend to just drop them again (ideally on the floor, he likes the noise....Dodgy) He can't really operate things by himself, except for basic switch toys, but we have a few of those now.
I did buy him elmo live for his birthday, he can't operate it by himself but he loves watching it!
He's also showing good signs of recognition of different characters, he really responds to thomas the tank engine, but also seems to like buzz lightyear, wall e, lightning mcqueen, roary, and things like that.
much gratitude if you can suggest something!
Heart Raising the awareness of encephalitis, one baby step at a time.....Heart

• Administrators
argghhh xmas, you had to remind me it was so close! i have dans/ems birthdays first eeek. but i know what you mean, i really hate xmas shopping at peak time for the major stuff (i dont mind if im all but a few things complete) ....when you say matty has trouble expressing his feelings is that because of lack of speech or understanding? i was wondering whether something like little puppet might be good to play with, perhaps the ones you make up yourself you could make different emotions and make some little stories up, if he could hold one as theyre only light he could get envolved too....maybe get the wodden spoon ones for the added 'drop on floor' effect hehe !? he might even just like the feel of them if you used different textures Smile

xx

• VIP
I have my youngest daughters birthday 21st Dec, and my eldests 3rd Jan! Didn't plan those very well did I?!
He struggles to express because of the no speech thing, some things really make him laugh and smile, and other things will make him cry, but sometimes he doesn't respond at all, or will occasionally cry over the same thing that made him laugh the week before (think loud car revving noises and things!) No one is 100% certain of his level of understanding, although his school teacher did say she didn't think he was behind at all, but just couldn't make himself understood, and I have to say how much I've noticied him come on in the last few months, he now cries if his sisters get something, such as a sweet, and he doesn't think he's getting anything (I tend to pass the girls things first, so I can give him my full attention, as he can't feed himself! Lesson learnt lol)
Puppets are a nice idea, but I really want something he can play with himself. Whilst I love sitting and playing with him, its not possible to do it all day, and thats the time when I want to lay him on his mat, or sit him in his chair, with a toy he can activate himself.
Heart Raising the awareness of encephalitis, one baby step at a time.....Heart

• Administrators
i know what you mean about wanting them to play alone....none of mine have ever mastered that lol i am trying to train alfie to sit and play in his playpen at times, he seems to be doing better than any of the others did!

xx

• VIP
(09-06-2010, 06:26 PM)Lucy Wrote: i know what you mean about wanting them to play alone....none of mine have ever mastered that lol i am trying to train alfie to sit and play in his playpen at times, he seems to be doing better than any of the others did!

xx

quite the oppersite for my youngest child she is 5 and always wants to play alone, its a real effort to get her to interact and play with others. over the hoildays things have improved a bit then when she went back to school the parents were all talking about how there little darlings have read and done numbers all through the holidays, they have really progressed. We played and played some more very little reading ect so my daughter may have made some social progress but not accademic. you win some you lose some.