• Administrators
basically, we live on the border of two councils, birmingham and walsall. They each have their own lea so our council (birmingham...who we pay council tax to) will need to pay walsall to school euan. It is a mainstream but has a resource unit within the school. I wanted him on the unit and the staff said they had a place and that he didnt need to be statemented to be accepted however birmingham are saying that they wont provide funding without a statement as they 'don't know what to fund'. They said they would assess him for statementing and draw up a list of schools they find appropriate :S - not on my nelly. I want to send him to the school of my choice, if he didnt have medical needs there wouldnt be an issue as his older sister already attends.
What we are hoping to do is speak to the school and get them to initially accept him into the mainstream nursery under a school action plus and then assess him and put him forward for statementing while he is already there....then they cannot force us to move. It may take a little longer but will pretty much guarantee him a place. I don't see the school having a problem with this as they said he didnt need to be statemented anyway so we shouldnt be posing a problem for them.

Frustrating you have to try to find ways around bloody funding though!

xx

• VIP
(11-29-2009, 08:24 PM)Lucy Wrote: basically, we live on the border of two councils, birmingham and walsall. They each have their own lea so our council (birmingham...who we pay council tax to) will need to pay walsall to school euan. It is a mainstream but has a resource unit within the school. I wanted him on the unit and the staff said they had a place and that he didnt need to be statemented to be accepted however birmingham are saying that they wont provide funding without a statement as they 'don't know what to fund'. They said they would assess him for statementing and draw up a list of schools they find appropriate :S - not on my nelly. I want to send him to the school of my choice, if he didnt have medical needs there wouldnt be an issue as his older sister already attends.
What we are hoping to do is speak to the school and get them to initially accept him into the mainstream nursery under a school action plus and then assess him and put him forward for statementing while he is already there....then they cannot force us to move. It may take a little longer but will pretty much guarantee him a place. I don't see the school having a problem with this as they said he didnt need to be statemented anyway so we shouldnt be posing a problem for them.

Frustrating you have to try to find ways around bloody funding though!

xx

good luck, i hope it works out for you. it is unusual for a school to fund a child into a unit without a statement, but if your son is in the nursery first that will give you a chance to get the LA to access his needs. A statement takes a long time it should only take 26 weeks but LA always find ways around the time line, so i would put a parental request in straight away. Remember to send in as much evidence as you can, private reports if you have them.

• Administrators
We are putting in for the request the moment his foot steps into the nursery in walsall.
Once he is in the school i feel we have more chance of getting the statement from Birmingham to fund his contuining education.
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• Administrators
It may take longer they said because he will need to be assessed by walsall and then birmingham will want to make their own assessment to allocate funding but aslong as hes at that school. Thats if he isnt diagnosed as ASD, hes under assessment at the minute but i think mainstream would be out of the question if hes diagnosed with that alongside all his complex medical needs.

xx