• Registered
i just need to scream a little!

Phoned social services again today as its been 3 weeks since our initial assesment, we had a letter at the end of last week which basically said we are entitled to a social worker but due to staff shortages we are on a list, so i phoned the office today to see how long for our core assesment, the girl on the phone didnt really know but she said around 4 weeks, baring in mind we waited 9 weeks for the initial assesment so in total that will be 16 weeks, at this point i actually lost it with the poor girl on the end of the phone :o

I proceded to tell her that i was going to go the paper and that it was discusting how when help is asked for there are so many lists and you just get palmed off. i told her that there system has failed and im sure if we didnt want a social worker one would arrive tomorrow!
i also believe that when we do eventually get our social worker it will be months till we get restbite anyway Sad

so now i am waiting for the duty social worker or the Manager (not bl***y likely) to call me back, she asured me it would be today ha ha ha ha. i am not holding my breath.

ok so i have now de-stressed a little Smile

Becca

life is to short to worry about the future, what will be will beExclamation

• VIP
This seems to be very common doesn't it, social services seems to be the one area where parents are constantly palmed off and have to chase constantly, the system just doesn't work. I know a lot of them are understaffed and I can sympathise but our children need help now not in six months time.

My son was diagnosed in April and his Dr immediately referred him to social services, we still haven't heard anything. Apparently we live in an area that is severely understaffed, if we live just 20 miles away we would fall under York and they are apparently brilliant, just another postcode lottery Angry

Hope you get your call today, fingers crossed.
Mum to Alexander (6) Friedreich's Ataxia and Hypertrophic Cardimyopathy

• Administrators
Dont know if it would be of help but i could maybe find the email address for the director of services Smile
If you want to let me know the local team you come under i will try and dig the information for you Smile
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• Registered
(08-26-2010, 03:41 PM)Daniel Wrote: Dont know if it would be of help but i could maybe find the email address for the director of services Smile
If you want to let me know the local team you come under i will try and dig the information for you Smile

Hi Daniel

thanks that would be very helpfull Smile we come under Hampshire county council, western area diabled childrens team.

i did get a call back but my husband took the call Sad he said it sounds like they found us a social worker (not sure how that works as we havent had our core assesment yet??? oh and yesterday morning they had no staff Huh ) so they are phoning back today to speak to me.

getting fed up with fighting now though!

Becca

• Registered
(08-26-2010, 01:26 PM)Munchkin Wrote: This seems to be very common doesn't it, social services seems to be the one area where parents are constantly palmed off and have to chase constantly, the system just doesn't work. I know a lot of them are understaffed and I can sympathise but our children need help now not in six months time.

My son was diagnosed in April and his Dr immediately referred him to social services, we still haven't heard anything. Apparently we live in an area that is severely understaffed, if we live just 20 miles away we would fall under York and they are apparently brilliant, just another postcode lottery Angry

Hope you get your call today, fingers crossed.

Hi, I have found that unless you scream and shout you dont get anywhere, yes its hard but i think it has to be done, to get the initial assesment i had to threaten to take Matthew with his overnight bag and leave him at thier office, (i would never do this) so maybe you should try that Big Grin

Becca