• Registered
i wish, on the nights that my son isnt totally wide awake shouting 'sunshine' (although now winters approaching fast this is less and less) and the other nights that my daughter isnt laughing and giggling in the dark while singing her current fave cartoon song in her fave american accent i have 'night terrors'.

but it seems i have got managing on a few hour sleep down to a T. i had them as a child and they were really bad and they never seem to stop they just changed from monsters to other things. the mildest night i spend chatting to 'dark figures' or sleepwalking around the house. when i was younger there were loads of things i could do to reduce the intenstity. but now i cant seem to reduce the worry and stress so im stuck with them. i cant also go back to bed through the day as 2 kiddys with autism just cant look after them selfs.

night terrors in children are not unknown and very common in children with ASD so im told, so if you have any questions about your little one's having night terrors i might have some good advice. my son has them when something is bothering him - he whines and tenses like he has terrible tummy ache, and then theres the times where he thinks boys with blood on there faces are in his room.

back to backache - its first thing and i feel already like ive had a beating in my lower back. later this morning when my meds wear off just walking will cause the pain to move further up my back (but i enjoy the walk back from school its so quiet and i can organise in my head what i need to do and what assesments are coming up - such as eye test this friday and blood tests, and the dentist which im supposed to be doing this week). when ive spent the day picking up my daughter my upper back will feel likes its on fire and i feel like early labor and because i hold my daughter on my left hip - my right side of my ribs will hurt. then when my son needs picking up from school the meltdown will start and i will have to carry him off the floor. by nighttime i will be wanting to cry. however when i go to bed we got a memory foam matteress which eases it for a while.

• Registered
i got an appointment with my doctor and he took alook over my past notes and we had a chat, he says i seem to have always had the lower back problem and he said i have done well to cope until recently without needing the tablets. he thinks that picking my children up is causing bruising to my ribs on the side i hold them. im only 5ft 2 and size 12 so i struggle to hold them.

so he says for the short term he will up my doseage and i should try to rest my back as much as possible. we will try other things if this doesnt work. hes worried that with my sleeping problems and the pain that i might end up depressed so he says its important to not suffer with the pain for now. he says theres a chance my children might not needs so much picking up in the future - i do hope so

• Administrators
could you not maybe get any support through direct payments maybe to get someone in for a couple of hours in the day so you can get some rest/sleep? or maybe a nursery place for your daughter to give you some time on your own?

I don't actually suffer with backache but I know it can be wearing when they want picking up all the time.....and my son is small for his age and I am tall (6foot) and well built Big Grin . I cannot imagine how you cope with your ssmall frame. You can get hip supports for children to rest on when you hold them so as not to affect your posture but I'm not sure if they have a max weight i.e ment for toddlers. Will have a quick look for you and let you know.

Lucy xx

• Registered
i think my back was damaged as a child, it doesnt help that my back is small width wise. i cant stand having my spine touched it make me feel sick - i dont know if that could be a phobia from being a child as it just feels awful. even when my bra catches it on a certain spot.

i struggle to stay a size 12 so that i have something to hold them on, im not stick thin though and thankgod lol.

as for direct payments i dont know, my daughter and son peadritcian (sp?) wants to get me help and wants me to reapply for the mobility as she says she doesnt know how i can carry on with public transport.

last night i had a great nights sleep, my son only woke up twice. and ive only had some painkillers this morning and it doesnt hurt yet. so im having a good day so far. hence my now spotless living room. what are hip supports?

• Administrators
They're like a thing that rests on your hips to sit the child on, I saw them somewere once but i'm not sure if they are meant for toddlers. They remind me of like a solid bumbag. Ill add a picture to the bottom of this, they are about £35 and it says approximatly 4years and they are tested up to 30kg.....i know you said your daughter is big, not sure if you know her weight!?

Also, If your son not walking is to do with his condition then you should deffinetly try going for the mobility allowance. Especially if his paed will support your application!

Lucy x

Attached Files Image(s)