• Registered
hello, i am the first to start a threadWink. i am mum to three children and my two youngest who are nearly 6 and 3 1/2 have autism and adhd. they still need picking up an awful lot.

my son who is nearly 6 often gets himself into such a state that for his own safety or just for us to continue our journey i have to pick him up as well as having to carry him to bed. and my daughter who is 3 1/2 but is the size of a 5 year old needs picking up alot as her mental age is of around 12 - 18 months. im only 28 but my back is totally letting me down, and i wondered how it was for other parents and carers?

is this just the normal thing? what treatment do you get or medication? and is there any hope or is it something that we have to put up with?

ive always had backache, as a child i had a lumbar needle up my spine when i was 3 and apparantly it went wrong (although thankfully i cannot remember it). but other than some aching and tiredness it hasnt affected my life, then i had 3 children which is when the pain started. but still not enough for me to take regular medication for the pain.

but now after caring for my children i cant stand the pain, first thing on a morning its so stiff that i have to roll on to my side and and take painkillers which i put beside my bed. then i lay there until they take effect. then im okay i take my Children to school but on the journey home just walking sets the pain back off. then as the day goes on and im constantly picking my daughter up it gets worse and by nighttime im in constant pain and have no choice but to take more meds. i end up with my back up to the raidiator. then when its time of the month the pressure on my spine is unbearable and i honestly feel like going into hospital the pain feels like being in labor.

the doctor has perscribed me tramadol and it works really well but i wonder how long i can carry on like that. but on the other hand my children come first and i cant not pick them up and it might be something i just always have to do as its not like the autism is going to go awaySad. so i was wondering how others coped with the extra demands on there backs. thankyou for reading

• Administrators
(10-12-2009, 02:59 PM)becky28 Wrote: hello, i am the first to start a threadWink. i am mum to three children and my two youngest who are nearly 6 and 3 1/2 have autism and adhd. they still need picking up an awful lot.

my son who is nearly 6 often gets himself into such a state that for his own safety or just for us to continue our journey i have to pick him up as well as having to carry him to bed. and my daughter who is 3 1/2 but is the size of a 5 year old needs picking up alot as her mental age is of around 12 - 18 months. im only 28 but my back is totally letting me down, and i wondered how it was for other parents and carers?

is this just the normal thing? what treatment do you get or medication? and is there any hope or is it something that we have to put up with?

ive always had backache, as a child i had a lumbar needle up my spine when i was 3 and apparantly it went wrong (although thankfully i cannot remember it). but other than some aching and tiredness it hasnt affected my life, then i had 3 children which is when the pain started. but still not enough for me to take regular medication for the pain.

but now after caring for my children i cant stand the pain, first thing on a morning its so stiff that i have to roll on to my side and and take painkillers which i put beside my bed. then i lay there until they take effect. then im okay i take my Children to school but on the journey home just walking sets the pain back off. then as the day goes on and im constantly picking my daughter up it gets worse and by nighttime im in constant pain and have no choice but to take more meds. i end up with my back up to the raidiator. then when its time of the month the pressure on my spine is unbearable and i honestly feel like going into hospital the pain feels like being in labor.

the doctor has perscribed me tramadol and it works really well but i wonder how long i can carry on like that. but on the other hand my children come first and i cant not pick them up and it might be something i just always have to do as its not like the autism is going to go awaySad. so i was wondering how others coped with the extra demands on there backs. thankyou for reading

TramadolConfused
Im on this at the moment....Good sleep promised but do you get dizzy using them?
Have you tried an osteopath or physio to help you?
Accupunture is also offered by the NHS now.
But as for tramadol,if the pain gets worse take tramadol and co-codadomol everything will be chilled outAngel
But long term it does tire you out and thats hard when you have a disabled child to look after.
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• Registered
they do make me tired if i take them too close together, and even sick occasionally. but when the pain is bad and it feels like my upper back is on fire they dont make me feel tired but they do work well for the pain.

taking co-codamols together is in the worse cases - darent tell my doctor that though Wink. lots of coffee i dont do too bad.

can i ask what you have them for? they seem to be popular at the moment as lots of people i know have them for certain things

• Administrators
(10-12-2009, 08:41 PM)becky28 Wrote: can i ask what you have them for? they seem to be popular at the moment as lots of people i know have them for certain things
Bone pain in legs and shoulder,in fact in every bone i have including my knuckles.
Currently being investigated by the doctorUndecided

Dont want to be on them for long though as they are addictive if taken long term.
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• Registered
It sounds like everybody but me gets a good nights sleep thenBig Grin