• VIP
Hi Guys

I hope someone has a really good system they use of have used to bathe/shower their child as my current system isn't going to be much use for much longer.

My husband and I currently bath our daughter together as she has no motor function at all, this means we carry her up the stairs, change her on our bed, bath her in a Manga Surfer Bather and then my husband lifts her out of the seat and passes her to me to carry back into our bedroom to dress.

This works for now and we hoped we could carry on like this until we have our adaptations and can shower her downstairs. However my husband has a genetic bowel cancer gene and he needs to have surgery to remove his large bowel in about 6 weeks. he will not be able to lift Chloe at all for at least 3 months and I don't think I can safely bath her on my own everyday for that time - she is nearly as big as me!

So what I am looking for is a bathing system I could set up to use downstairs in our dining room/Chloes bedroom!

Any ideas will be very gratefully received!
Kirsty x
Mum to 3 gorgeous girls Bethany (12), Amyrose (7) and Chloe (4). Chloe has Septo-Optic Displaysia, Bilateral Schizencephaly, Microcephaly, Lissencephaly, Spina Bifida Occulta, Global Developmetal Delay and Epilepsy. But has a smile that can light up the grumpiest persons day!

• Administrators
(08-22-2010, 11:17 AM)adoptivemummy Wrote: Hi Guys

I hope someone has a really good system they use of have used to bathe/shower their child as my current system isn't going to be much use for much longer.

My husband and I currently bath our daughter together as she has no motor function at all, this means we carry her up the stairs, change her on our bed, bath her in a Manga Surfer Bather and then my husband lifts her out of the seat and passes her to me to carry back into our bedroom to dress.

This works for now and we hoped we could carry on like this until we have our adaptations and can shower her downstairs. However my husband has a genetic bowel cancer gene and he needs to have surgery to remove his large bowel in about 6 weeks. he will not be able to lift Chloe at all for at least 3 months and I don't think I can safely bath her on my own everyday for that time - she is nearly as big as me!

So what I am looking for is a bathing system I could set up to use downstairs in our dining room/Chloes bedroom!

Any ideas will be very gratefully received!
Kirsty x
Hi Kirsty,
You mention about carrying up the stairs are you able to do this yourself?
In terms of the adaptions will they be putting a downstairs bedroom or a stair lift?

If you can manage to get her upstairs i was wondering if a bath lift could do the job for you on a temporary basis.
http://www.easylifeuk.com/aquila-bath-lift-lightweight-reclining-p-1362.html

Its £249 and i bet it could be found cheaper if i looked so if thats an option let me know and ill look.
If affordability is a problem i could let you know of funding organisations.
And someone like newlife can put through emergency funding which could mean you have it in place for the time you need it within the 3 weeks rather than waiting the months the council seems to take.

Do let me know if this is an option and ill do the digging for best prices and funding sources Smile
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• VIP
(08-22-2010, 11:47 AM)Daniel Wrote: Hi Kirsty,
You mention about carrying up the stairs are you able to do this yourself?
In terms of the adaptions will they be putting a downstairs bedroom or a stair lift?

If you can manage to get her upstairs i was wondering if a bath lift could do the job for you on a temporary basis.
http://www.easylifeuk.com/aquila-bath-lift-lightweight-reclining-p-1362.html

Its £249 and i bet it could be found cheaper if i looked so if thats an option let me know and ill look.
If affordability is a problem i could let you know of funding organisations.
And someone like newlife can put through emergency funding which could mean you have it in place for the time you need it within the 3 weeks rather than waiting the months the council seems to take.

Do let me know if this is an option and ill do the digging for best prices and funding sources Smile

Thanks for this Daniel, unfortunately this looks very similar to the Mangar Surfer Bather that we already use, the reason it takes two of us is for one to lift her out of the seat and the other take over as she is a 'dead-weight' to carry and you still have to stoop considerabley over a bath Sad

Also in answer to your question my alterations will include a downstairs bathroom and bedroom so we won't be carrying her upstairs in future, and I don't feel safe doing this at the moment!

Thanks though Smile
Mum to 3 gorgeous girls Bethany (12), Amyrose (7) and Chloe (4). Chloe has Septo-Optic Displaysia, Bilateral Schizencephaly, Microcephaly, Lissencephaly, Spina Bifida Occulta, Global Developmetal Delay and Epilepsy. But has a smile that can light up the grumpiest persons day!

• Administrators
How about something like this for downstairs?
http://www.healiohealth.com/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jninqmroo
quite expensive but if any good i could try and find a cheaper altertive?
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• VIP
(08-22-2010, 12:46 PM)Daniel Wrote: How about something like this for downstairs?
http://www.healiohealth.com/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jninqmroo
quite expensive but if any good i could try and find a cheaper altertive?

This is the kind of thing I was thinking of! I plan to ring the OT tomorrow and see if they have anything in stores we can get on loan, if not I would hope they would fund it - but that might take longer than the adaptations 38

Thank you so much
Kirsty