• Registered
My son is having a really hard time with going to bed at night and has no routine at all and is often up late.
He refuses to sleep in his own room or even on the floor of our room. He wants to be in our bed with me and my husband.
I have to lay with him until he falls asleep or he gets himself worked up to the point he vomits.
He has an anxiety disorder, ADHD and Aspergers. My guess is that all of these play into his bed time routine.

I am fine with him sleeping with me, but my husband is not and I do understand the bed is not that big and my hubbie is a very light sleeper.

We tried having him fall asleep in our bed and then moving him but he is a large boy so not that easy to move and i have tried I lying in bed with him, he can't fall asleep because he is worried I will leave him alone in bed
I have asked him what he is scared of and he can't understand it. He is very clever with some things but I dont think he fully understands when i tell him stuff?
It is really becoming a big issue for my husband who is very grumpy at bedtime or when he is woken up from sleep.
Lots of grumping and moaning.
So i have two problems my son who wont sleep and my hubbies reactions.
I don't even know what I am asking but it helps me to type this all out for myself.
Can anybody give me any advice on what you might suggest?

• Administrators
Hi Julie,

That sounds like you just wrote about my son (minus the adhd etc) he is 2 and has always slept in our room, we are often up late and my son clings to me when in bed, i can also spend hours trying to get him to sleep which often doesn't work unless he is totally exhausted....I have managed to get him in his own bed though by putting his bed right up next to ours so its like one big bed!!! That way he can still roll into me and mess wiv my top (Old habbit its like a comfort thing) or I can pass him drinks etc but I still have enough room in the bed for me and my partner to be comfortable. It probably is to do with anxiety and fear of being alone, I put my sons down to all the hospital admissions he had when first diagnosed with his condition.

When you say he has an anxiety dissorder, what other problems does this cause? as my sons 2 and I suspect this may be an answer to his behaviour.....he won't interact with other children socially and gets into a panic when i take him to play groups with large amounts of children.

Lucy x

• Registered
I found with my son I had to give him melatonin (prescribed by the paediatrician) because he won't even lie still in our bed or anything he would be constantly doing things and then eventually pass out in whatever position he was in. I found this really helped to get him to sleep (but not stay asleep unfortunately and not get him back to sleep after he'd woken up!). He also has lots of spinny coloured lights etc in his room to look at. I just think it was so hard for him to get to sleep before but now with the melatonin he will just lie down and have a story watching the spinny lights and then sleep. I have read that people have found weighted blankets helpful too. I would love to try one because he still wakes up a lot & its difficult to get him back off to sleep but they're so expensive I'm reluctant to buy one until I've tried it really. Also the melatonin seems to have set his body clock a bit because he used to go a full day and then in the evening say "we go home, have lunch and then what do we do?" and be really suprised that it was getting dark and argue that it wasn't night and get upset - since the melatonin this doesn't happen very much.

• Administrators
Someone I know mentioned using medication but she said it helped get her son to sleep but not keep him asleep and also it affected how he was once he was awake again!? Did you find that?
I suppose its like most thing's, all children react differently!!

Lucy xx

• Registered
(10-17-2009, 06:44 AM)Lucy Wrote: Someone I know mentioned using medication but she said it helped get her son to sleep but not keep him asleep and also it affected how he was once he was awake again!? Did you find that?
I suppose its like most thing's, all children react differently!!

Lucy xx

I think that is true of alot of children lucy, as i have heard a few people say this.
Its so hard not to be given any advice on any kind of solution to sleep problems, our daughter has real ruff nights too. and we have tried all the obvious set bedtimes/baths/lavendar oil & warm milk ect..
Its tough we have run out of ideas the whole family are like walking zombies.
Smile