• VIP
You cannot buy melatonin in UK as it is controlled at the moment. You can buy it in US and order it on the net ....which is a chance I certainly wouldn't take with my child!

Personally I think it depends on the child who takes the melatonin......different people, different effects.

It gets my son to sleep - but takes a long time - up to 2 hours and then he seems to wake excessively early when he has it.

The paeds are only supposed to give this melatonin as a short term (6 months max) aid.

My friends autistic child has gone from 2 mg per night to 13mg, and is now having to take sodium hydrochloride.

Melatonin is NOT addictive, but you can become easily immune to its effects. This is why I refuse to give it to my child every night. Within a week of taking it, by the end of the week, the sedative affect was much lower. I give it to him either when he is really tired and cannot cope or when I am really tired and cannot cope lol!

• Registered
I too wouldn't trust anything off the internet/shops, especially as its not very easily available in the UK (the doctor gives you a special letter to take to the pharmacist and they usually have to order it).
I found that it does help my son to get to sleep but only initially. It doesn't keep him asleep and if he wakes and I give him a second dose it doesn't work as well the second time. I do give it to him every night though because I think it has built up and helped his body clock generally which helps him to sleep. Before he started taking it he had no sense of time at all. He would argue that it was day at night time, at tea time say "we have lunch and then where we go?" etc. Now he seems to have much more sense of where we are in the day & I think this is the 1st step in sleeping properly. Also I need the bit of sleep that it does almost guarantee me at the start of the night! To be honest I find the best thing for his sleep has been really strict routine - all day not just near bedtime so he knows exactly whats happening and its always the same (even weekends). The slightest thing will throw him out - eg the night the CBeebies website changed he was up at 2.30, the following night 4.30 and then to top it all the class TA (not even his 1-1 TA) was ill yesterday & he was up 4 times!

• Administrators
This is the supplement that is sold in Holland and Barratt

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=200

Apparently is very similar in terms of effects but again i dont know anything about this myself so would never advise this without medical advice.Smile
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• VIP
(11-17-2009, 05:30 AM)becky29 Wrote: my son has yet again had me up for hours now, my partner has taken over so that i can try to get some sleep before school. but i have too much to do these days with reece needing to really go to a special school and his assesment next month and his review at school. i cant even concentrate as im so tired. should i ask my doctor for something to help him sleep, do they give it out for children who are like my son?

i dont need it for my daughter as she is sleeping lovely in my bed - im so thankful she hasnt woken too because there play is to loudly shout and laugh and follow each other around in a circle, which ends up being a game of tag - then my daughter turns it violent and my son fights back too. then when parted they both only have one thing in mind - to get back and hurt the other one!!!!!

Hi there ,my daughter Dallas has been on melotonin on and off for a few years.She has only ever slept through the night on a handful of occasions in the past nine years.
The thing about melotonin is is seems to work for a while and then stops ,so we give her breaks off it regularly and she is now trying slow release melotonin which seems okay for now fingers crossed.

• Registered
Hi dallas1!
How often do you need to put the breaks in and how long for? We found the problem with slow release melatonin was trying to get him to take it - have you got any tips for this?