• Registered
my son has yet again had me up for hours now, my partner has taken over so that i can try to get some sleep before school. but i have too much to do these days with reece needing to really go to a special school and his assesment next month and his review at school. i cant even concentrate as im so tired. should i ask my doctor for something to help him sleep, do they give it out for children who are like my son?

i dont need it for my daughter as she is sleeping lovely in my bed - im so thankful she hasnt woken too because there play is to loudly shout and laugh and follow each other around in a circle, which ends up being a game of tag - then my daughter turns it violent and my son fights back too. then when parted they both only have one thing in mind - to get back and hurt the other one!!!!!

• VIP
last time we went to the paed for my daughters check up, we said how badly she is sleeping and she said we can prescribe her melatonin if you would like, i said no then as i didnt know anything about it or its side effects, and i asked somebody about it and they said there were certain foods that contain melatonin in, i have been giving her these foods more and it has helped a little bit (i cant really say it has helped loads but i am still not sure about giving her the medication as some people say it only helps to get them to sleep). We were told if we changed our minds to make anopther appointment with the paed and she would give her some

• Administrators
Melatonin is a drug i know a parent has tried with their child and there view was that it was great for getting their child to sleep BUT......
It did not keep them asleep.....and when they did wake up at 1am crying they were drowsy tired but still awake.

But saying that other people swear by it.

But it is a drug you have to build up in your system.
It might not work overnight as such as can take a good few weeks to really get into the system and into a routine.

I just think if this was life each and every day for any parent i would consider it if i were to get too tired to care for my children then your going to struggle to get through the day and you have to be on form with any child with special needs.
Not saying Becky cant cope as she seems to be doing a great job judging by her posts hereTongue I mean in general for parents.
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• Administrators
Also, just to mention, melatonin is a naturally occuring hormone in the body so not just a drug. I have been told you can actually buy it in places like holland & barrat but i have never looked and to be honest, i'm not sure if i would buy it for my Children. If it was for me i probably would to save the hassel of going to the doctors but i think if you want to try it for your son then mention/ask for it at his next appointment!

xx

• Registered
i have always had terrible night terrors and cant say ive ever been one for sleeping through myself,now im older i dont have them so bad but i do wake alot. my son has had problem sleeping since he was born so i can say that this has always been how each and everyday is but i would not go as far as to say i cant care for my children.