• Registered
Hi, my boy is 4 and has autism. Fortunately for us he has always been a great sleeper since he was a baby. For the past 3 months though his sleep has become more disturbed and he is screaming hysterically through the night. It only happened, say, once every couple of weeks initially, now its about 5 nights out of 7 and sometimes up to three times a night.

One night in particular, he was screaming and shouting "no" and "help" in his sleep, when I went in to comfort him I couldn't wake him up and he was still shouting and screaming, he wouldn't open his eyes, this went on for a few minutes even when I picked him up??.

I know it may just be down to his age and he's just having nightmares but the "nightmares" are getting worse and more frequent.

Anybody else experience this with their child or have any advice??

Thanks

• Administrators
can you think of anthing in particular that may be bothering him? any change in routine? school? our son euan is still under assessment for asd/adhd alongside his medical condition and he goes through periods like your describing (we are having one at the minute) euan tends to be quite emotional during the day before he has a bad night! i cant see any trigger facters but he is younger, hes only 2. he also shouts 'no no' and lashes out! speaking to a few other moms on here who have children with asd/autism they ALL have problems with sleep so you are deffinatly not alone Smile

xx

• Registered
Hi there,

I have endured many sleepless nights with my son-all fun and games. Getting up and down all hours of the night, days beginning at 4:30am, not sleeping in his room, being up for 19hrs in a day. He too has lashed out in his sleep hitting and biting, shouting quite aggressively, i thought that lashing out when sleeping part was just him, nice to know im not alone with this. We're still fighting to be put forward for an ASD assessment alongside his medical condition.

I have a friend who has a severely autistic little girl, who was quite disturbed by bedtime, she now has a 'safe space' in her room, which i believe has helped, she can still cry out and also is a fan of early starts. I mention the safe space as it may be something in which you are interested in trying. It is a room within a room which is padded, dark and secure Smile xx
Happiness is the path we lead not the destination Idea

• Administrators
i was up and down a few times lastnight with euan shouting in his sleep, in the end i got into bed with him in the hope i nwould get some sleep! i got 3 hours, then i had to get up and do his meds and they were all wiiiiiide awake at 4.45am baby included. i sent my older daughter back to bed for an hour though as otherwise she'd be sleeping in school Big Grin

xx

• Registered
reece woke screaming this morning, he was quite certain his tv was cracked. took me 20 mintues to calm him down to take a look and to explain it was just a dream. in the end he was ok saying 'oh i was dreaming in my brain!!!'