• VIP
thank you mel how long did it take for your son to pick up signing,im not sure if my boys would sit and learn as their understanding is not there eg if i say do u want juice or biscuit they look at me as if im specking to some1 else,but defo worth ago just so they can communicate with me more cos they getting so so frustrated now.
thank you mel how long did it take for your son to pick up signing,im not sure if my boys would sit and learn as their understanding is not there eg if i say do u want juice or biscuit they look at me as if im specking to some1 else,but defo worth ago just so they can communicate with me more cos they getting so so frustrated now.
i have 4 special children emily 9 thomas 3 and id twins who have gdd who are all the greatest

• VIP
I can't sit my children down for them to learn anything, Nicole is very hyper and doesn't understand the word no. But i use makaton for everything, even if she's not paying attention, she now knows a few signs which is fantastic, which i put down to ourselves and the programme something special (couldn't live without it, lol). Hopefully Mel can give you more suggestions.
HeartHeart Stacy HeartHeart
Mother to Terry 10 MLD + ADHD, Nicole 9 Cri-du-chat Syndrome ADHD Asthma GDD Coarctation, Jessica 4 Cri-Du-Chat Syndrome GDD Reflux

• Registered
My daughter is 11 and has GDD. She apparently has a Syndrome Without A Name (SWAN) but has cerebellar hypoplasia and autistic traits too. She has attended a special school since aged 3 and is going up to a special secondary school in September. The initial prognoses were poor but she can walk and talk, albeit several years behind. She is regarded as being about 3 yrs of age.

• Registered
(08-06-2010, 10:05 PM)Mel22 Wrote: We have just found out our son has a language disorder. He has always been about a yr behind mentally so it came as no surprise. We started signing when he turned 2 (nov 09) for us it's been the best thing we have done. He has about 20 signs now (it's taken a lot of hard work and perseverance) but it's worthwhile, purely because he could not ask for food/ drink etc. Now he signs juice or more which seems to be his favourite sign, i wonder why lol. Each child is different so signing may not always work but I am definitely for it as it has opened up a world of things for our son. x

You could try PECS which is what a lot of schools use and my daughter grasped it more easily than the makaton. The children just choose from a variety of special picture cards. ie. juice etc

• VIP
im hoping signing might be a road to go down will find out more this week when they start intensive salt session and im hoping this might be suggested but the is i could sit my boys down but i get the impression they it does not register i repete and repete things and ethan just looks at me as if im talking a foreign lang he also does not understand no cos at mo im having a major battle with him biting me and his twin and no just does not work im black and blue with bite marks.its come to the point where i can not leave the 2 boys in same room alone...and he bitten of the front of his pram in less than a hr all rubber gone of bumper bar hope you are all well and Children doning well
i have 4 special children emily 9 thomas 3 and id twins who have gdd who are all the greatest