• VIP
Hi

We have just received a grant toward an advance payment on a WAV, wondered if anyone else has gone down this route and how easy it was to go on to secure a car, and how long did you have to wait for it once ordered? My car is quite literally falling apart and I don't know how much longer it can hold out (took key out of the ignition today and engine continued to run .... I'm no mechanic but that can't be right!)

Kirsty
Mum to 3 gorgeous girls Bethany (12), Amyrose (7) and Chloe (4). Chloe has Septo-Optic Displaysia, Bilateral Schizencephaly, Microcephaly, Lissencephaly, Spina Bifida Occulta, Global Developmetal Delay and Epilepsy. But has a smile that can light up the grumpiest persons day!

• Administrators
(08-04-2010, 06:00 PM)adoptivemummy Wrote: Hi

We have just received a grant toward an advance payment on a WAV, wondered if anyone else has gone down this route and how easy it was to go on to secure a car, and how long did you have to wait for it once ordered? My car is quite literally falling apart and I don't know how much longer it can hold out (took key out of the ignition today and engine continued to run .... I'm no mechanic but that can't be right!)

Kirsty
Hi Kirsty,
Just wondering if the WAV needed any particular adaptions or would a standard production WAV be suitable?

Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• VIP
(08-05-2010, 08:17 AM)Daniel Wrote: Hi Kirsty,
Just wondering if the WAV needed any particular adaptions or would a standard production WAV be suitable?

Just a lowered floor and ramp to get the wheelchair ( and Chloe) in the back.

Kirsty
Mum to 3 gorgeous girls Bethany (12), Amyrose (7) and Chloe (4). Chloe has Septo-Optic Displaysia, Bilateral Schizencephaly, Microcephaly, Lissencephaly, Spina Bifida Occulta, Global Developmetal Delay and Epilepsy. But has a smile that can light up the grumpiest persons day!

• VIP
Hello adoptive mummy

We went for a standard production vehicle with adaptations including wheelchair hoist and rear passenger seat ie turny orbit with wheelchair base that remote controls out of the car and lowered down for son to get onto also if he cant manage this in the future the whole of the passenger seat comes out onto the base of a wheelchair and can be used as a wheelchair your child doesnt need a booster seat as long as they are using a harness to strap them in this chair comes with head support and the adaptations are all be doing at salford conversions for us we had to check that the boot was big enough for the wheelchair hoist and it is Galaxy ford.

Do check what is suitable for your child and the family. Also I am having an automatic as i have trouble using a manual car but had to get a dr to sign a letter to say why etc.

A wav car has a smaller tank and needs filling up more frequently than normal, this is sited in the part of the wheel at the back.

Do check which type of car is suitable we found motability were excellend helped us along the way it was only some of the dealers werent nice at all to us.

Good luck.
xAngel

• Administrators
The motability dealers who can help are listed on the website and maybe worth contacting a few of them to see how they can assist you.
Do also ensure you get to give the vechicle a test drive to ensure it suits your needs Smile

The dealers can be found on the following link:

Motability WAV dealers
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE