• Registered
Hi Im new on here ..
Im in the middle of filling out my 11 year old sons disability forms ..NIGHTMARE!
hes under gone three major heart ops since birth..
He gets out of breath very easily, but is also over active..he cant read or write ..so would this go under severe learning problems? We wouldnt be able to let him out on his own, because he has no road sence.
So does this come under high mobility?
Its so hard to know whats what? Jasper needs care through the day and night with medication, and blood tests..he gets up constantly and we need to be there to comfort him. He cant stay at other peoples houses over night. His social life for a nearly 12 year old is almost non excistant..unless were with him. These forms are really hard to fill in. Do you think I have a case for high mobility? Any answers please would be so helpful. ThankyouConfused

• VIP
I realy cant say if it will come under high or low it all depends on who actualy assess's ur forms on the day in my opinion?
As i know several people who have children with needs and they only got awarded low rate care when in all honesty they should be on middle rate + mobility..
Then like me, i honestly thought my boy would be entitled to mobility, and when i applied he got turned down but after i appealed they then put him onto low rate mobility.
My boy is nearly 6, has severe GDD, flat feet, glue ear, over sized tonsils (awaiting op), hole in heart, heart murmor, severe learning difficulties, severe behabioural problems, speach & language delayed. He too cant read or write (just scribbles), hes still in nappys during the night and also require night care, he too has no road sence and gets over tired very easily..

From what i have read from above, i think they will award u high rate care (as he requires night care too) and i think they will award mobility but unsure on what rate.. it depends on how far he can walk before he tires and what care he needs when hes out. etc
But if you have a health profesional who would be willing to fill forms out for you it be best to go to them for that help.
Good luck

• VIP
(08-04-2010, 12:46 PM)Lea89x Wrote: I realy cant say if it will come under high or low it all depends on who actualy assess's ur forms on the day in my opinion?
As i know several people who have children with needs and they only got awarded low rate care when in all honesty they should be on middle rate + mobility..
Then like me, i honestly thought my boy would be entitled to mobility, and when i applied he got turned down but after i appealed they then put him onto low rate mobility.
My boy is nearly 6, has severe GDD, flat feet, glue ear, over sized tonsils (awaiting op), hole in heart, heart murmor, severe learning difficulties, severe behabioural problems, speach & language delayed. He too cant read or write (just scribbles), hes still in nappys during the night and also require night care, he too has no road sence and gets over tired very easily..

From what i have read from above, i think they will award u high rate care (as he requires night care too) and i think they will award mobility but unsure on what rate.. it depends on how far he can walk before he tires and what care he needs when hes out. etc
But if you have a health profesional who would be willing to fill forms out for you it be best to go to them for that help.
Good luck

I second this re getting help - my daughter's support worker came round and helped me fill the form in, she's been helping people do these forms for years and she knew the exact sort of things they needed to know. Definitely get help. x
Julie xx

• Administrators
my advice would be to get as many people as possible to support your application along with help filling in the forms. high rate mobility can be extremely difficult to get but like lea said i think you deffinatly have a case for high rate care as he requires nightcare aswell as day care. Smile goodluck, the forms are so daunting! There is a section on here that helps with wording in regards to DLA applications as certain words like 'frequently' and 'often' have defining meanings in law so would probably be usefull for you to read

http://www.parentsofdisabledchildren.co.uk/benefit-advice/how-wording-makes-disability-living-allowance-claim-more-t-2669.html

and heres one that explains the decision making process for certain conditions, whats considered etc http://www.parentsofdisabledchildren.co.uk/benefit-advice/dwp-decision-makers-handbook-help-understand-decision-making-t-277.html

hope that helps Smile
xx

• Administrators
(08-04-2010, 12:36 PM)8687murr Wrote: Hi Im new on here ..
Im in the middle of filling out my 11 year old sons disability forms ..NIGHTMARE!
hes under gone three major heart ops since birth..
He gets out of breath very easily, but is also over active..he cant read or write ..so would this go under severe learning problems? We wouldnt be able to let him out on his own, because he has no road sence.
So does this come under high mobility?
Its so hard to know whats what? Jasper needs care through the day and night with medication, and blood tests..he gets up constantly and we need to be there to comfort him. He cant stay at other peoples houses over night. His social life for a nearly 12 year old is almost non excistant..unless were with him. These forms are really hard to fill in. Do you think I have a case for high mobility? Any answers please would be so helpful. ThankyouConfused

Hi lets see if we can help Smile
Here are a few questions:

You mention your son getting out of breath very easy,how and when does this come about? Is it when running or walking?

How far can your son walk without pain or discomfort?

Is any of the above due to a particular heart problem?

You mention he cant read or write,have they investigated the reasons for this and what help does he get for this?

Medication through the day and night what does this consist of?

Why does you son wake up in the night and what happens when he does?

If you can let me know the above ill be able to advise further Smile
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE